Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My three day old... Question

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:07 AM
  • 22 Replies
I've a few questions being a FTM. Had my little boy on valentines day and he's just perfect. I am planning on breastfeeding only and overall we're doing great so far. He LOVES the boobie. So much, that he's been at one in our bed in the reclined position for about two hours now. I don't know if he's using it to pacify himself or if I'm just supposed to let him keep nursing or what. He'll unlatch every now and then and almost immediately get fussy and start to root and put hands in mouth. When he nurses, he's very sleepy or lazy...and I tap him or tickle him to remind him to get back to work. Is this marathon nursing normal? I know that I'm starting to get more milk flowing but it's still quite a bit of colostrum. Within the first twelve hours after birth he had about four or five very poopy diapers and about 4 pee diapers. Within the last 24 hours he's had about 6 pee diapers and three poops. So I know he's getting plenty! I'm just not sure if I should offer him a pacifier at night when he wants to suck so much or if this is normal and to just let him nurse. (I've not given him any pacifiers yet). Also, he seems very gassy and sometimes spits up. this is normal this early, right? Also, inwas told that his poops shpuld be turning yellow... his are still greenish and watery. is he maybe not getting enough of the hindmilk? or is it just because i still dont have my normal milk in? Thanks for any of your input! Sorry if this is long and maybe stupid questions... I'm just hoping I get this right!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sissy852
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:20 AM
I really dont know. But congrats on your lo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Astrachanca
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:28 AM
Thank you =)

Quoting sissy852:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:35 AM
All of that is normal.
Pacifier use isn't recommended before six weeks because of nipple confusion.
Do you know how to nurse him while laying down? That helps a lot!!
Just nurse as much as he wants it will feel like he just eats the first about 6-12 weeks but that is normal!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Astrachanca
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:37 AM
Nursing him reclined now! Laying on side, him on side eating from my bottom boob. He's seriously been at it, half asleep for nearly three hours now. I'm so tired... Ugh.

Quoting pinkiebabii:

All of that is normal.

Just nurse as much as he wants it will feel like he just eats the first about 6-12 weeks but that is normal!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:45 AM
Go too sleep mama. My son is teen months old and we have slept like that since birth. By eight weeks he latched in himself at night and neither one of us really wake up since he was eight weeks old.

Quoting Astrachanca:

Nursing him reclined now! Laying on side, him on side eating from my bottom boob. He's seriously been at it, half asleep for nearly three hours now. I'm so tired... Ugh.

Quoting pinkiebabii:

All of that is normal.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Astrachanca
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:48 AM
Thank you... I'm going to try... My hip is hurting at this point! Heh.

Quoting pinkiebabii:

Go too sleep mama. My son is teen months old and we have slept like that since birth. By eight weeks he latched in himself at night and neither one of us really wake up since he was eight weeks old.

Quoting Astrachanca:

Quoting pinkiebabii:

All of that is normal.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this
First off congrats!!!

Marathon nursing is very normal. That how they get your milk to come in. With my DS2, we joke that if he's awake, he's eating. He was like that for the first 6ish weeks. Now at 3 months he's starting to realize there's more going on than just mom, lol.

You want at least 1 diaper per day of life until a week old. Then you want 6-8 diapers a day. Heavy wets and/or poops count as 2 diapers. What I do in the beginning is set out 6 diapers at 6am. As long as by 6am the next day they are gone then we are fine. Each poop diaper I took an extra one off the stack. Same with each heavy wet.

I personally avoid pacifiers at all cost. DH is the only one that offers them and that's only when I'm at work. When in home nothing fake goes in baby's mouth.

Spit up can be normal. As long as baby doesn't seem to be in pain then it's a laundry problem. Could also mean you have an over active let down, that's where when baby pops off you spray everywhere. Which is easily fixed.

Green can be normal for diapers too. Yellow seedy is normal too. Just make sure there isn't any mucus or blood and you are fine.

The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. ;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:46 AM
It helps to put a pillow behind my back and kinda lean back on that. Practice makes perfect and you'll be able to sleep with a baby on the boob in no time!

Quoting Astrachanca:

Thank you... I'm going to try... My hip is hurting at this point! Heh.

Quoting pinkiebabii:

Quoting Astrachanca:

Quoting pinkiebabii:

All of that is normal.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sissy852
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:55 AM
you are welcome

Quoting Astrachanca:

Thank you =)

Quoting sissy852:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Normal!

If you are going to sleep while nursing, don't do it in your recliner. Do it in bed. Google Dr. Sears safe bed sharing practices. Baby can fall into crack between your body and chair in the recliner.

Congrats!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN