Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Weight History..Dr is concerned!

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:20 AM
  • 30 Replies

At Aubrey's 6 month appointment she went from the 25th percentile to the 15th.  Dr was a little concerned, although it wasn't as bad as some drs I have seen in here.  She said she doesn't mind drops in percentiles as long as they don't keep dropping and she NEVER once entioned formula and said that BFing her is the best thing I can do for her.

Ok, here's the stuff I don't agree with...Increase bottles at daycare from 3 oz every 2.5-3 hours to 6-8 oz every 3 hours (no way I'm doing that, baby would be on formula in no time!  I pump an ounce and hour at work!).  Add rice cereal to her diet (nope), start her on solids (I honestly tried this after pressure from my DH, mom, the Dr, and daycare (they said she cries when she sees them feed other babies, lol, doubt it!) even though Aubrey isn't sitting independantly and still has a tounge thurst reflex.  A total waste of time!  I put it in, she pushes it out!  I want to go back to the original plan of BLW.  Here's her weight history, what do you ladies think?

Birth weight-6 pounds 6 ounces (born at 36 weeks 4 days)

Lowest wieght -5 pounds 4 ounces, can't remeber when this was, but it was less than a week, we were still in the NICU, this is when they MADE us suppliment with formula:(  She was Jaundice as well.

1 week 5 pounds 13 ounces

2 weeks 6 pounds 3 ounces

2 months 10 pounds 4 ounces (was finally able to drop ALL suppliments, no thanks to the stupid NICU!)

4 months 12 pounds 7 ounces (went back to work, so started getting 3 oz bottles every 2.5- 3 hours, though sometimes she goes much longer and will only eat 2 3 oz bottles in the 9 hours I am away.)

6 months 13 pounds 14 ounces (it completely slipped my mind at this appointment that Less than a month before this, Aubrey had bronchiolites for 2 weeks.  I'm guessing that may be the reason for the slow down.  Dr must not have seen it in her chart either I'm guessing)

She also wanted her to start vitamin d drops, why she just mentioned it now I have no idea.  I live in Louisiana and we get PLENTY of sun down here, and it's pretty much already spring, so I am not doing this either.  I won't switch Drs, as I'm sure some will probably suggest, lol.  I do like her for everything else, and really around here, I know I won't find a more pro BF Dr.  There is a reason LA has some of the lowest BF rates in the country.

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:26 AM
3 moms liked this

Doesn't appear to be hurting for a meal judging by those chunky thighs!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BoxxyBabee
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:28 AM
My 6mo has similar weight history. She's 13lb 11oz right now. Daycare asked me to increase bottle oz. at first I didn't want to but realized I was actually sending half of what she needed :( pedi is also pushing solids on us but dd has no interest. Sticking with the boob. 6mo is a growth spurt I think, maybe she will make up for loss on percentage
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:29 AM

She doubled lowest weight before six months- how are diapers?  At least six a day?  She looks good to me, and something to keep in mind with a preemie (mine was a 36 weeker too) for developmental stuff you need to go by adjusted age, so expect unsupported sitting and loss of tongue thrust around seven months, not six.  We went through similar struggles with our daycare- they thought she needed to be on solids and eating more when she was not ready (doc was fine), we ended up switching daycares because they started purees without my permission or knowledge at five months.  I see nothing to change.

eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:34 AM
I would be furious if they fed her without my permission! When I put her bottles in the ice box all the others are at least double hers, so I'm sure they think I'm nuts!

Her diapers are more than adequate. Daycare changes around 3-4 wets, and I change around 5-6 wets, with a BM in there usually once a day, sometimes every couple of days. And when she wakes she's usually soaking, so that counts as two as well.

Quoting preacherskid:

She doubled lowest weight before six months- how are diapers?  At least six a day?  She looks good to me, and something to keep in mind with a preemie (mine was a 36 weeker too) for developmental stuff you need to go by adjusted age, so expect unsupported sitting and loss of tongue thrust around seven months, not six.  We went through similar struggles with our daycare- they thought she needed to be on solids and eating more when she was not ready (doc was fine), we ended up switching daycares because they started purees without my permission or knowledge at five months.  I see nothing to change.

LHummel
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:40 AM

My daughter has jumped all over the place with weight height everything. Kids grow the way they grow. This is what i am always looking at with my daughter. Does she have rolls? Is she gaining weight? Or now that she is 22 months old,  maintaining weight. Is she super cranky? If the answer is yes yes and no. Then i feel just fine despite the doctors.  

BoxxyBabee
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:41 AM
I live where there's barely any sun in the winter and I asked about vit d drops and the pedi said she doesn't need them :(

Oh how pedis differ
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:43 AM
You want an average of 1 pound per month from lowest weight. She has gone above that. Ignore the dr.

ETA: my DD was 13lbs at 9 months. Her dr pushed formula and I pushed back. She needed to have her TT clipped and the dr said it wouldn't help her weight. So I said clip it and if next month she hasn't gained more then ill do formula. He agreed, clipped her tongue. She gained 1lb in 2 weeks and I switched drs. The new Ped isn't concerned with the actual weight number, as long as they look healthy and are following a curve.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Yeani think she's fine! Whenever i'm gone i only leave 2 ounces every 2 hours and he usually only drinks an ounce of it. Some docs are just quacks! And we don't do vit d either. We live in tn. Ours is also concerned that he doesn't sleep 12 hours at night at 8 months. I can't sleep for more than 4-5 without having to pee or get a drink so i don't expect him too either. I say keep doing what you're doing
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Omg how did you find out? Did you report them? It would take every ounce of self control i had to not smack someone!

Quoting preacherskid:

eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:56 AM
That's what she was concerned with, she dropped off her curve a little. How do the plot the curve? Something I thought was odd is she sent the nurse in to recheck length. She got a smaller number and measured her 3 times until she got the original length. I think she didn't want to tell the dr she made a mistake. Could this cause her to drop of the curve a bit?

Quoting shortyali:

You want an average of 1 pound per month from lowest weight. She has gone above that. Ignore the dr.

ETA: my DD was 13lbs at 9 months. Her dr pushed formula and I pushed back. She needed to have her TT clipped and the dr said it wouldn't help her weight. So I said clip it and if next month she hasn't gained more then ill do formula. He agreed, clipped her tongue. She gained 1lb in 2 weeks and I switched drs. The new Ped isn't concerned with the actual weight number, as long as they look healthy and are following a curve.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN