Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

how to wean when baby has never learned to use bottle or sippy cup?

Posted by   + Show Post
Baby Karen has never gotten the hang of a bottle or snippy cup. She's nearly 11months old and whenever I try to get her to drink from anything besides the breast she can't do it. I'll be weaning in a month, help!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Replies (11-15):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I'd abandon the plan to wean in a month and keep offering alternative methods to her till she taks one. When she's proficient, revisit weaning.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:40 PM

This.  Straw cups and open cups were easiest for my ebf little one.  He's never used a sippy cup.

Quoting gdiamante:

I'd abandon the plan to wean in a month and keep offering alternative methods to her till she taks one. When she's proficient, revisit weaning.

loisl25
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Yeah, she does a little better with the soft spout ones. I know I need to do it gradually. I was going to start in a month.

Quoting Brandy85412:

just keep giving her one. She should get the hang of it by the time you wean completely, if your giving it to her all the time. Have you tried the soft spout ones? Are you starting to wean now or starting in a month. Weaning should be a gradual process.

eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:59 AM
I'd hold off on weaning until she gets the hang of it. I found a straw sippy at bru that you squeeze, and it sends the liquid up the straw for training.
Hottubgodess
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Yes!!!

Quoting K8wizzo:

This.  Straw cups and open cups were easiest for my ebf little one.  He's never used a sippy cup.

Quoting gdiamante:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN