Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

mastitis Misery!

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:07 PM
  • 6 Replies

OMG, never have I felt so sick.  Friday night I went to the bathroom and when I returned to bed, I started trembling and my teeth were chattering uncontrollably.   I knew I had a fever but could not even hold a thermometer in my mouth because of the shivers and teeth chatter.   In the am, I had stopped shivering thankfully but could feel myself burnng up.  When I took my temp , my fever was so high it could not register on the thermometer, it was just blinking the words "error, high".     Called me Doc as this was the only symptoms I was having except one breast was a little sore and firm.  He said to drink fluids and take ibuprofen and call him back if any other clinical symptoms show up.    Was trying to avoid going to the ER on the weekend, did not want to leave the baby and be exposed to all those germs.     Sure enough one breast did start getting increasingly sore, hard and tender.  Temp kept spiking from 101 to 103 when the ibuprofen was due again.  Pounding headache and body aches.  My gosh I felt like I was dying.   Called the MD back last night and he called in antibiotics which I started taking right away.   Last spike was 101 this am ( 103.3 last night)  .  Breast started turning red this morning.  Which actually made me feel better , at least I know he is treating the right cause of fever.   Was actually pretty scary.     Hearing this is a common occurrence, I am praying that I do not have to keep going through this.    I have a history with any infection of running very high temps. My blood pressure also drops and I start to faint ( Happend once yesterday)        

Baby is 2.5 weeks old, was just starting to feel like myself when this hits.   Looking forward to feeling normal soon and not like a patient!!!!   ( Had pelvic joint disfunction the last month of my pregnancy and could barely walk)   

Just a vent!  Fever free for several hours , hoping it last 

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Hugs....i know! Just stay in bed, nurse and drink lota of water. Tr and not let yout breats get engorged and feel better soon!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I've had it twice so I know it sucks! Make sure to nurse baby as often as he/she wants and then pump afterwards until the lump is gone.

Make sure to take a probiotic while taking the antibiotics to avoid thrush. Take it 2 hours later. Also you can give some to baby too.
nurseangel032
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Hopefully tomorrow I will feel well enough to run out for probiotics .  Feeling a little better this evening ( could not even think about going on the computer yesterday, was in bed friday night until this am.   Trying to nurse and pump as much as possible.  He is a newborn so his feeding pattern is not that consistant, I have to wake him during the day and stimulate him to nurse.  He nurses longer and more frequently all night.    Also have trouble getting a great latch because my breast and nipples are very large.  He always tries just taking the nipple, hard to get him to take the tissue around it.  Hopefully as his mouth gets a little bigger it will get easier.    Thanks for the support ladies, I had no idea how horried mastitis was!  Hope it does not keep happening :(        

Denisethedaring
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Mastitis SUCKS.  It is really like getting smashed flat by the hammer of feverish painful illness...I'm so glad I only had it once!  Wishing you a speedy convalescence and NO recurrences!

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Oh yes, probiotics!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting nurseangel032:

Hopefully tomorrow I will feel well enough to run out for probiotics .  Feeling a little better this evening ( could not even think about going on the computer yesterday, was in bed friday night until this am.   Trying to nurse and pump as much as possible.  He is a newborn so his feeding pattern is not that consistant, I have to wake him during the day and stimulate him to nurse.  He nurses longer and more frequently all night.    Also have trouble getting a great latch because my breast and nipples are very large.  He always tries just taking the nipple, hard to get him to take the tissue around it.  Hopefully as his mouth gets a little bigger it will get easier.    Thanks for the support ladies, I had no idea how horried mastitis was!  Hope it does not keep happening :(        

Hold your breast in your hand like a "C" shape with fingers underneath and thumb on top, like your holding a sandwich (but upside down). Squish the nipple and areola and kinda shove it in his mouth. Tickle his lips with your nipple to get him to open his mouth wide like a yawn or cry.
It takes practice, but it does get better.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN