Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I didnt know SIDS and formula were linked..

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this
I just saw it in a post.

When did they find this out :( that scares me so bsd. My oldest was only bf for a little bit but ff from like 1 month on 100% & sids was always a huge worry :( shes 3 1/2 now, and thankfully healthy. But still :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ccnstanczak
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:03 PM

i dont know if its linked but the risk is higher??

try4baby20
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM
The risks higher cause it's heavier on their stomachs so they don't wake as easily
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sissy852
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM
man :( i didnt know that either. :(. My ds1 was ff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CheyennesMommy2
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM
:( my dd3 (2 wks old) sometimes sleeps like 5 hours after nursing. Maybe I should wake her?

Quoting try4baby20:

The risks higher cause it's heavier on their stomachs so they don't wake as easily
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this

From what I understand its less of a concern for a bf baby to sleep longer since its their natural rhythm.  A ff baby is artificially full for an extended period of time (since it digests slower) so they sleep through their natural wake cycle - hence the SIDS risk.

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

:( my dd3 (2 wks old) sometimes sleeps like 5 hours after nursing. Maybe I should wake her?

Quoting try4baby20:

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:16 PM

It's not the length, but the deepness of sleep.  BF babies sleep lighter, formula makes babies sleep deeper and then they forget to breathe

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

Quoting try4baby20:

CheyennesMommy2
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Ugh :( I hope I can bf til at least a year. I really do not want to have to use formula. I only have 12oz in the freezer. Im not able to pump much after nursing, even an hour after. I think im gonna try fenugreek for a little while. Just untill I feel like im producing more, and can get a nice freezer stash just in case. Plus I like to have 5oz in the fridge for her to have if shes not acting full after a long feeding, she will usually eat 1oz and be happy. Im barely making .5 oz pumping both sides.

Quoting SadieJames:

From what I understand its less of a concern for a bf baby to sleep longer since its their natural rhythm.  A ff baby is artificially full for an extended period of time (since it digests slower) so they sleep through their natural wake cycle - hence the SIDS risk.

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

Quoting try4baby20:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:49 PM
3 moms liked this

You absolutley do not need to start taking fenugreek! It can really help with it is needed, but it does have risks/side effects.

The only thing you need to do to conitnue to produce enough milk for your baby, and meet your goal of at least a year, is to breastfeed your baby on demand.

You do not need to pump unless you will be separated from baby. If it makes you feel better to have a little stash in the fridge, go right ahead. But know, that any time you give a bottle of milk and don't have baby at the breast then it is putting your suply at risk. Sometimes freezer stashes are the CAUSE of a drop in milk production. Mom takes milk from the freezer instead of nursing (or nurisng more) too many times and production drops.

If you want some in the freezer then pump no more than once a day. Why no more? Becuase pumping takes time away from your sweet baby :-)

That 5 oz in your fridge may lead to problems. If you "top off" with a bottle when baby does not seem full after a long feeding, your baby does not get the signal to make mroe milk, and baby may come to expect the bottle. If baby is still acting hungry after nursing on both sides, offer both sides again (and again, and again if needed).

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

Ugh :( I hope I can bf til at least a year. I really do not want to have to use formula. I only have 12oz in the freezer. Im not able to pump much after nursing, even an hour after. I think im gonna try fenugreek for a little while. Just untill I feel like im producing more, and can get a nice freezer stash just in case. Plus I like to have 5oz in the fridge for her to have if shes not acting full after a long feeding, she will usually eat 1oz and be happy. Im barely making .5 oz pumping both sides.

Quoting SadieJames:

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

Quoting try4baby20:

carinsmommy
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I saw that it was linked. But the information I read pointed out that it is more the use of the bottle than the formula. They said that formula fed babies tend to be propped up with a bottle. This is usually done by placing the child on pillows or placing something on the child to hold the bottle up. This increases the risk of SIDS and suffication.
I had also seen one article about formula being contaminated but I didn't get to read it. When I went back the article was gone.

CheyennesMommy2
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM
My lc said pumping after nursing won't hurt my supply at all? For the last day I've been getting only like..barely .5oz, after every feeding, once she's ate and is full/content...so I just put it in the fridge n combine them all, all the measly Lil .5oz..once there all the same temp. There will be times I'm away once summer hits and dads tarts dance, then preschool. Not a lot but Saturdays, plus I have some activitys at the church ill probably start back up with once she's older, probably later this summer, but taking the kids isn't really going to work unless it gets moved to the big building which I'm hoping for. So pumping is a little bit necessary, I'd like 30oz in the freezer. It's not a lot but only plumping .5 at a time..holy ow its gonna take forever.

What are the side effects and risks of fenugreek?? I googled that forever and couldn't find anything

Quoting maggiemom2000:

You absolutley do not need to start taking fenugreek! It can really help with it is needed, but it does have risks/side effects.

The only thing you need to do to conitnue to produce enough milk for your baby, and meet your goal of at least a year, is to breastfeed your baby on demand.

You do not need to pump unless you will be separated from baby. If it makes you feel better to have a little stash in the fridge, go right ahead. But know, that any time you give a bottle of milk and don't have baby at the breast then it is putting your suply at risk. Sometimes freezer stashes are the CAUSE of a drop in milk production. Mom takes milk from the freezer instead of nursing (or nurisng more) too many times and production drops.

If you want some in the freezer then pump no more than once a day. Why no more? Becuase pumping takes time away from your sweet baby :-)

That 5 oz in your fridge may lead to problems. If you "top off" with a bottle when baby does not seem full after a long feeding, your baby does not get the signal to make mroe milk, and baby may come to expect the bottle. If baby is still acting hungry after nursing on both sides, offer both sides again (and again, and again if needed).

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

Quoting SadieJames:

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

Quoting try4baby20:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN