Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breast pain after 7 good months...?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM
  • 7 Replies
So the day before yesterday I started experiencing pain while my dd was feeding. I thought she was biting me or had a bad latch because she has a runny nose. But those don't seem to be the issues. I thought maybe I am engorged, but I haven't gotten relief from her nursing. The pain started in my nipple area and now has spread in streaks up the side and underneath. It is worse in the right breast than the left, but both hurt.
Could this be thrush? She doesn't have any of the listed symptoms. Or do you think this could be mastitus? Or just bad feeding because of the runny nose?
We have been going strong for 7 months with little issue. I work full time, but have had to be home with her for the last 4 days because she had run a fever with this runny nose and couldnt go to daycare Friday. There have been several viruses going around, so I have been home with her a lot lately actually.
What could this be? What should I do?
And as I have been writing this, she has been nursing on the left breast with no pain...?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Can you feel a lump anywhere that would indicate a plugged duct? Her latch could be just slightly off from teething, the cold, or she may be warming up to an ear infection. Pay attention to your own symptoms as well--if you start feeling flu-like, that would indicate mastitis. Do keep nursing on the affected side or pump it. Standing in a hot shower may help. Check kellymom.com for articles on both mastitis and thrush.
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:08 PM

No pain or anything when she's not lathed?   If it is only while latched and throughout the feed I'd wonder about a funky latch with her not feeling well.  No lumps or bumps that you can feel?  And red streaks?  Nipples look oaky?

MamaLauraWilson
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:06 PM
I don't feel any lumps. And yes there is pain when she isn't latched. My right breast is pretty tender. No red streaks, but there is a red spot about the size of a 50 cent piece above my right nipple. No lump, but hurts when I touch it. I am working a little today, so I am pumping right now. It isn't as painful as when she is nursing, but the right breast still hurts.
Nipples look a little pinker, more of a dark pink, than usual, but no cracks or wounds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaLauraWilson
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:08 PM
I called my ob after getting some stomach cramps and feeling sick this morning. She prescribed antibiotics, saying it is mastitis. I hope that works. Thanks ladies.
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Still work on getting the clot out - you don't want it to turn into an absess.

The other thought I had is a possible milk blister.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaLauraWilson
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Thank you. It seems to be doing much better now even though I have a cold now. :( but the redness, and the pain is gone now. Thank goodness for that!
beachlove512
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Definitely mastitis. I had the same symptoms and was given antibiotics. I felt like I had the flu and nursing hurt sooo bad. I recovered in just a few days though. Use warm compresses, nurse often, and rest. Get well soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)