Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

what to do when pump wont work

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:52 AM
  • 6 Replies

Help! I'm away from my son 14 hrs a day 3 days a week for work and some days my medela pump just doesn't work for me. Usually I get 4+ oz on one side and yesterday I got less than 1 each of the 4x I tried. It makes me painfully engorged, feels like its bruised inside and out. Usually when I finally get to feed my son it helps but it's almost a full day later and I'm still incredibly sore and it hurts every time he eats and even moreso if I try to pump. Any suggestions to prevent this and to make it feel less painful now? I tried massage yesterday to help get the milk out and it didn't do any good. He is almost 10 months so I want to make sure I can continue at least 2 more months!
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MamaDee83
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM

You might have a plugged duct. Best thing to do, if this is the case, is to put a warm/slightly hot (that you can stand comfortably) compress on it while you are nursing or pumping/immediately before. You can also take a hot shower and try to milk yourself, and you should nurse on that side as much as you can and massage in the affected area(s) down towards your nipple/baby's mouth. That has worked well for me in the past.

Also, what kind of medela pump do you have?? Do you have extra horns? Usually they come with two sizes - I found that I started off using the smaller of the two and then I switched to the larger diameter ones and my milk output increased while pumping. Good luck!

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Check the membranes, they may need replacing. 1 ounce both sides combined is normal pump output though. And holy cow you're able to get 4 oz a session at 10 months! That is unusual.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM

One ounce per side is normal max output, so that in itself is not a problem.If you're not using massage while pumping, start.

mindysue852
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM
I have a medela pump in style. I only have what came with the pump...I saw a lactation consultant when my son was a month old and they said it was the right fit. I will try replacing the membranes and using a warm compress. It never happens when I'm home with my son, only when I'm at work and need to pump 4-5x a day. And yeah I know 4 oz is a lot at this point. It makes up for the other side where I only get an ounce each time. Makes me look really unbalanced, I'm pretty flat chested so it's especially noticeable when I can't express the milk. Ahhh the things we do for our children right :)
mindysue852
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:27 PM
I have tried massaging, but I still get clogs on day 2 or 3 of my workweek. I'm not worried about the output if I was comfortable, but the one side is overproducing (always has) and it makes me feel bruised inside and out when I can't empty it.
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:14 AM
Those membranes are tricky. If they get a tiny hole or an small tear or if they get stretched out at all then pump output drops/disappears.

Quoting mindysue852:

I have a medela pump in style. I only have what came with the pump...I saw a lactation consultant when my son was a month old and they said it was the right fit. I will try replacing the membranes and using a warm compress. It never happens when I'm home with my son, only when I'm at work and need to pump 4-5x a day. And yeah I know 4 oz is a lot at this point. It makes up for the other side where I only get an ounce each time. Makes me look really unbalanced, I'm pretty flat chested so it's especially noticeable when I can't express the milk. Ahhh the things we do for our children right :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN