Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Irregular menstrual cycle while nursing?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM
  • 9 Replies

My DD is 15 months old, and she still nurses pretty frequently. Last month, I got my period on the 13th of January (while we were at Disney, of course!), and now it's been over a month and my period hasn't made an appearance yet. My DH and I are pretty careful with condoms, but there have been a couple of times where he has pulled out, but he never finishes inside - I know, I know, ladies! That being said, of course there is always the possibility that I am pregnant again.... I really hope this isn't the case, but anyhow. My question is, if you are still nursing and your period has started again, even if it is once, is it totally normal for it to be IRREGULAR after not being around for so long? I want to know if I should panic yet!

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MommyJill87
by Jill on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:38 PM
I had my first PP period when dd3 was 15 months old, that was in December and I've had none since then , and we want to have another baby so it's a bit frustrating.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
vinalex0581
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:55 PM

i have had unpredictable irregular menstrual cycles since my 7 month old son has been born.......but my period has been irregular since i was 20 years old and i had my first son at the age of 22.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

kris0921
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Its normal. Just depends how much you bf. I am almost 5 months post and havent had mine yet. I was crampy for about a week this past month, but thats it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I got my first pp af when my dd was 26 months old, and more than a year later, my cycle is anywhere from 17-45 days. Completely unpredictable. I buy bulk strip pregnancy tests and test whenever there is the slightest chance. But the irregular periods are quite normal while breastfeeding and even for a while after weaning. Heck, some women never have regular periods ever.

JTE11
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM

It does happen. I got mine back the first month after I had DD but then it was irregular. Sometimes three weeks, sometimes five weeks apart, sometimes it was three days sometimes a week long. The hormones affect it. Probably don't panic JUST yet, but pregnancy is possible.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Do test, but irregularities are par for the course when nursing, and it's different for everyone.
MamaDee83
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Ok, I won't panic just yet ladies, thank you! I'm no fool, I know there is a possibility I am pregnant, but I'll wait :)

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM

100% normal to have preceisely the opposite of whatever you had before.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM
My period had been irregular since my son was born. He just turned one. I have gotten it on time, but most of the time it's anywhere from three weeks to 7 weeks.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)