Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Dental work while bfing

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM
  • 7 Replies
I had a crown break off completely on Saturday and take the entire tooth with it. I'm going Wednesday to get it fixed. I have a few questions though... Are x-rays a no no while bfing? Also what kind of numbing agents are ok? Any other things I should ask or be aware of?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

X-rays are fine and so is most anything they will give you.

Aydnsmommy
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM

X-rays are fine. Completly safe.The radiation from the X-rays are actually less than you would get from being outside all day.

All local anesthetics are fine too. They do not travel through the bloodstream and cause any harm. It works with the nerve.

The only thing I would tell you is, you may have to have the tooth extracted if it broke off at the gumline. There isn't much you can do to save it at that point. I don't know the exact situation, so your dentist will have a better idea. If it does need to be extracted, then, as long as you stick to local anesthesia only, then you will be fine. (There are other anesthesia options, that is why I tell you this) And check about all the meds they give you afterwards. Some Dr.s give pain meds and some don't.

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Just curious but why local only? General is safe for nursing too

Quoting Aydnsmommy:

X-rays are fine. Completly safe.The radiation from the X-rays are actually less than you would get from being outside all day.

All local anesthetics are fine too. They do not travel through the bloodstream and cause any harm. It works with the nerve.

The only thing I would tell you is, you may have to have the tooth extracted if it broke off at the gumline. There isn't much you can do to save it at that point. I don't know the exact situation, so your dentist will have a better idea. If it does need to be extracted, then, as long as you stick to local anesthesia only, then you will be fine. (There are other anesthesia options, that is why I tell you this) And check about all the meds they give you afterwards. Some Dr.s give pain meds and some don't.

BabyFruit Ticker

jelly.beans
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:32 PM
When my actual tooth broke off years ago... It broke up into the gum line. They had to do a crown lengthening procedure just to put the crown on back then so I'm thinking there might not be a way to save the tooth with a crown again :/ I am thinking they will do an extraction.

Quoting Aydnsmommy:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Aydnsmommy
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Our office dosen't do general, so I did not know for sure. I didn't want to give mis-information. I thought so, but since I have not personally seen it, I did not want to say for sure.

Quoting mamabens:

Quoting Aydnsmommy:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

From kellymom: 

Dental Work and Breastfeeding

JULY 29, 2011. Posted in: ILLNESS, SURGERY & MEDICAL PROCEDURES,MOM'S HEALTH

(x-rays, local anesthesia, sedation and more)

By Kelly Bonyata, IBCLC

Both x-rays and novocaine (and other drugs used for local anesthesia, such as bupivacaine andlidocaine) are considered to be compatible with breastfeeding.

Most medications used for oral and IV sedation are considered compatible with breastfeeding.

Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) sedation is also considered to be compatible with breastfeeding. It is virtually insoluble in the bloodstream, which means it goes from your brain to your lungs to the room air immediately after you stop breathing it in. Per Hale, “it is rapidly eliminated from the body due to rapid exchange with nitrogen via the pulmonary alveoli (within minutes). A rapid recovery generally occurs within 3-5 minutes… Ingestion of nitrous oxide orally via milk is unlikely.” See Conscious Sedation for more information.

A mother who has wisdom tooth surgery should not need to interrupt breastfeeding at all (except during the surgery, of course). To minimize baby’s exposure (and increase mom’s comfort), mom can nurse just before she goes in for the procedure. There is no need to wait on breastfeeding afterwards or to pump and dump — mom can nurse as soon as she feels alert enough to hold baby. See Breastfeeding when mom has surgery for more information on breastfeeding and general anesthesia.

There are many pain medications compatible with breastfeeding. See Pain medications and breastfeeding for more information.

Additional information

@ other websites

Research

Giuliani M, Grossi GB, Pileri M, Lajolo C, Casparrini G. Could local anesthesia while breast-feeding be harmful to infants? J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2001 Feb;32(2):142-4. Conclusion: “This study suggests that even if a nursing mother undergoes dental treatment with local anesthesia using lidocaine without adrenaline, she can safely continue breastfeeding.”

Ortega D, Viviand X, Lorec AM, Gamerre M, Martin C, Bruguerolle B. Excretion of lidocaine and bupivacaine in breast milk following epidural anesthesia for cesarean delivery. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 1999 Apr;43(4):394-7. Conclusion: “This study documents the magnitude of excreted lidocaine, bupivacaine and PPX in breast milk, and indicates that the use of both lidocaine and bupivacaine for epidural anaesthesia is safe with regard to breast-feeding.”

Lebedevs TH, Wojnar-Horton RE, Yapp P, Roberts MJ, Dusci LJ, Hackett LP, Ilett K. Excretion of lignocaine and its metabolite monoethylglycinexylidide in breast milk following its use in a dental procedure. A case reportJ Clin Periodontol 1993 Sep;20(8):606-8. “Nursing mothers receiving lignocaine for standard dental procedures can be advised that continuation

Quoting Aydnsmommy:

Our office dosen't do general, so I did not know for sure. I didn't want to give mis-information. I thought so, but since I have not personally seen it, I did not want to say for sure.

Quoting mamabens:

Quoting Aydnsmommy:

hapababies
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for posting this, I was wondering the same thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)