Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need all my favorite women to help me for my research paper for school

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:53 PM
  • 37 Replies

I am doing a research paper (no names will be used) and I need you ladies to answer these questions for me if you would please. If any of you could think of any others that would be awesome as well. I know I am going to get biased answers in this group but thats ok :) I like showing that we are trying to make breastfeeding the norm!!!

1.      How many of you tried to breastfeed

2.      How many of you never tried at all

3.      How many made it to 3 months

4.      How many made it to 6 months

5.      How many made it to 9 months

6.      How many made it to 12 months

7.      How many made it to 18 months

8.      How many made it to 24 months

9.      How many have gone beyond 24 months

10.  If you did not continue breastfeeding how many of you were sabotaged by a health care professional?

11.  If you did not continue breastfeeding how many of you did not continue because of lack of knowledge about breastfeeding?

12.  If you did not continue breastfeeding how many of you did not continue because you felt or were told that it was socially unacceptable?

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Quoting savannabooker:

I am doing a research paper (no names will be used) and I need you ladies to answer these questions for me if you would please. If any of you could think of any others that would be awesome as well. I know I am going to get biased answers in this group but thats ok :) I like showing that we are trying to make breastfeeding the norm!!!

1.      How many of you tried to breastfeed Yes

2.      How many of you never tried at all Nope, always breastfed

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

7.      How many made it to 18 months: No with babies 1 & 2, yes with baby #3

No with babies 1 & 2, yes with baby #3

No with babies 1 & 2, yes with baby #3

10.  If you did not continue breastfeeding how many of you were sabotaged by a health care professional?

no

11.  If you did not continue breastfeeding how many of you did not continue because of lack of knowledge about breastfeeding?

no

12.  If you did not continue breastfeeding how many of you did not continue because you felt or were told that it was socially unacceptable?

no

ferne3
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:23 PM

1.  yes

2.-9.  6 months

10.  Probably.  I got poor advice and little support in the beginning, and ended up pumping until 6 months.  I started with cracked bleeding nipples on day 2 and was told - it is ok to supplement formula and it was just downhill from there for my frist born, 2 years ago.

11.  Probably.  I had a pirana, and now I jsut gave birth to another and my newborn is the same.  We had them checked, not tongue tied, just chewers.  Nipple shields don't help.  Also, low milk supply, probably from missing thyroid and little help first time to increase milk production.

12.  Nope, in fact I feel like it is socially less accepted to not breastfeed - I am embarrassed I am pumping again, but stubborn, so once I heal, going back to BF.  And am insisting on pumping.

littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Quoting savannabooker:

1.      How many of you tried to breastfeed - yes

2.      How many of you never tried at all - no

3.      How many made it to 3 months - yes

4.      How many made it to 6 months - yes

5.      How many made it to 9 months - yes

6.      How many made it to 12 months - yes

7.      How many made it to 18 months - yes

8.      How many made it to 24 months - no. Almost, but my milk dried up when dd was 23 months due to pregnancy. I was 20 weeks along and we weaned. 

9.      How many have gone beyond 24 months - no

10.  If you did not continue breastfeeding how many of you were sabotaged by a health care professional? - No. I was actually supported

11.  If you did not continue breastfeeding how many of you did not continue because of lack of knowledge about breastfeeding? - no. I considered myself well informed. By this group, in part!

12.  If you did not continue breastfeeding how many of you did not continue because you felt or were told that it was socially unacceptable? - nope. Although after dd turned one, I could definitely see the attitude shift in society. But the older she got, the less it was obvious. With my second, though, I'm a lot more forthright. My second is only 3.5 months. We'll be nursing until at least 2, unless my milk dries up due to pregnancy again. 

Denisethedaring
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:41 PM

1. How many of you tried to breastfeed  Yes

2. How many of you never tried at all  No I tried with all 3 babies (and succeeded)

3. How many made it to 3 months Yes with all 3 babies

4. How many made it to 6 months Yes with all 3 babies

5. How many made it to 9 months Yes but only EBF with 1 baby still at 9 months, was supplementing with formula at this point for the other 2 babies

6. How many made it to 12 months Yes but only with 1 baby, who was drinking water, juice and cow's milk from sippy cups as well at this point ; the other 2 babies were completely on bottles of formula, sippy cups of water and juice and solids at this point

7. How many made it to 18 months  Nope

8. How many made it to 24 months  Nope

9. How many have gone beyond 24 months  Nope

10. If you did not continue breastfeeding how many of you were sabotaged by a health care professional? Nope, that's not why I stopped breastfeeding

11. If you did not continue breastfeeding how many of you did not continue because of lack of knowledge about breastfeeding?  Nope, that's not why I stopped breastfeeding

12. If you did not continue breastfeeding how many of you did not continue because you felt or were told that it was socially unacceptable?  Nope, that's not why I stopped breastfeeding

Ask how many of us did not continue breastfeeding because of working outside the home issues :)

conweis
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM
1. Yes
3. With my 3rd working on it with my 4th
10. Yes misinformation.
11. Yes
12. No
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Quoting savannabooker:

1.      How many of you tried to breastfeed

2.      How many of you never tried at all

7.      How many made it to 18 months

I breastfed my odd for twenty months (pregnancy hormones changed milk too much for her tastes), and am still going at twenty six months with ydd.  I have not gotten a huge or obvious amount of social support, people ask when I will be done, if I am "still" nursing, etc.  Medical community around here is pretty supportive, and I have a "I won't ask, you don't need to tell me" policy when it comes to breastfeeding advice from most people, doctor or not.  

CafeMom Tickers
moroccanmommy
by Robin on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Survey monkey has free polls...it sorts for u to
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Quoting savannabooker:

1.      How many of you tried to breastfeed  Yes

9.      How many have gone beyond 24 months   26 months

None of your other questions applied for me.

onethought
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:03 PM
I'm at 13 months And going strong. And I've been a working mom full time since 10 weeks. He's never had a drop of formula
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM
How many worked part-time or full-time while nursing? How many combined formula and breastfeeding? When did you start solids?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)