Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

low supply...

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:00 PM
  • 13 Replies
I think I am starting to dry up, I can't get hardly anything when I pump anymore, I can still nurse but he wants to nurse alot more because he doesn't seem to get enough at one sitting. I still have some milk in the freezer that he gets when I work but I don't think my supply will last until he is one. So I am trying to figure out what I want to do.. I really was hoping I could make it to a year on breast milk but I am happy I have at least made this far. Is there something I can do to help with my supply, what formula is the best to switch too after milk. Or I think my milk in the freezer will last at least another month so would he be worth switching to formula then to regular milk right away?

i was looking up fenugreek because thats what some other moms suggested but webmd said they dont recommend using it while breastfeeding even though many women do because there isnt enough evidence on whether its safe or not
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:12 PM

How old is baby?

What kind of pump do you have?

How much is your current pump output (how much can you pump while at work)?

How much is baby getting in bottles while you are at work?

Is baby getting any solids at work?

Are you pumping every morning, 7 days a week, when you first wake up? If not, is that something you can start doing? Either  nurse baby on one side and pump the other side, or nurse on both sides and then double pump and hour later.

Can you add another pumping session at work (somethings more frequent, shorter, pumping sessions will yeild more total milk)?

This article has tips on pumping more milk when you are working:

http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogspot.com/2012/07/returning-to-work-breastfeeding-mothers.html

addykarder19
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Baby is 9 months, I am renting a hospital pump, i maybe get 1 to 2 oz when pumping (i used to get 8 to 12 oz each time), he gets about 6 oz in a bottle (i tried just doing the 3 oz like some people recommend since its bm but he was not satisfied). I don't pump during work anymore because I was coming home to pump because they are under a huge remodel and I dont have a proper place to pump (yes, they offered me an small office but I would have to kick out my supervisor every time i would want to pump so I came home and I didn't like coming home with all the snow now so I pump right before and right after work). Baby is getting solids. 

Quoting maggiemom2000:

How old is baby?

Are you pumping every morning, 7 days a week, when you first wake up? If not, is that something you can start doing? Either  nurse baby on one side and pump the other side, or nurse on both sides and then double pump and hour later.

Can you add another pumping session at work (somethings more frequent, shorter, pumping sessions will yeild more total milk)?

http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogspot.com/2012/07/returning-to-work-breastfeeding-mothers.html

*Wife to Joel since 10-2-10*
*Mother of Addyson, Karder & Everett *
*Angel Babies 1/19/11 & 4/23/11*

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:47 PM

At 9 months old you can try sending a little less milk and more solids. If you want to be able to continue to send breastmilk then I'd encourage you to go ahead and kick the supervisor out a couple of times a day so that you can pump! If you don't pump more frequently, you won't make more milk.

Quoting addykarder19:

Baby is 9 months, I am renting a hospital pump, i maybe get 1 to 2 oz when pumping (i used to get 8 to 12 oz each time), he gets about 6 oz in a bottle (i tried just doing the 3 oz like some people recommend since its bm but he was not satisfied). I don't pump during work anymore because I was coming home to pump because they are under a huge remodel and I dont have a proper place to pump (yes, they offered me an small office but I would have to kick out my supervisor every time i would want to pump so I came home and I didn't like coming home with all the snow now so I pump right before and right after work). Baby is getting solids. 

Quoting maggiemom2000:

How old is baby?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Quoting addykarder19:

Baby is 9 months, I am renting a hospital pump, i maybe get 1 to 2 oz when pumping (i used to get 8 to 12 oz each time),

Per SESSION??????? 

Normal output at the pump is what you are getting NOW. What you were getting before, we affectionately refer to as "freak of nature" output. **smile** 

he gets about 6 oz in a bottle (i tried just doing the 3 oz like some people recommend since its bm but he was not satisfied).

Satisfied is a word not to be used in conjunction with breastfed babies; I agree with Maggie on pumping up the solids when you're apart. He's being overfed on the breastmilk.

I don't pump during work anymore because I was coming home to pump because they are under a huge remodel and I dont have a proper place to pump (yes, they offered me an small office but I would have to kick out my supervisor every time i would want to pump so I came home and I didn't like coming home with all the snow now so I pump right before and right after work). Baby is getting solids. 

Well, you're nowhere NEAR drying up. You could continue to just nurse at home. And at nine months his behavior is 100% normal..  welcome to the next growth spurt.

Ethansmama2012
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:02 PM

If you are not comfortable with fenugreek you can also try a tea by the name of mothers milk it helped me because I can only pump and was not getting enouph but pump as much as possible also my lactation consultant suggested to me power pumping were you pump for 20 min then drink water and relax 20 min then pump again 20 min and that also helped me but only do power pumping like 3 times a day :)

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:05 PM

This, exactly.  Welcome to the realm of normal pump output ;D grin!! 

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting addykarder19:

Baby is 9 months, I am renting a hospital pump, i maybe get 1 to 2 oz when pumping (i used to get 8 to 12 oz each time),

Per SESSION??????? 

Normal output at the pump is what you are getting NOW. What you were getting before, we affectionately refer to as "freak of nature" output. **smile** 

he gets about 6 oz in a bottle (i tried just doing the 3 oz like some people recommend since its bm but he was not satisfied).

Satisfied is a word not to be used in conjunction with breastfed babies; I agree with Maggie on pumping up the solids when you're apart. He's being overfed on the breastmilk.

I don't pump during work anymore because I was coming home to pump because they are under a huge remodel and I dont have a proper place to pump (yes, they offered me an small office but I would have to kick out my supervisor every time i would want to pump so I came home and I didn't like coming home with all the snow now so I pump right before and right after work). Baby is getting solids. 

Well, you're nowhere NEAR drying up. You could continue to just nurse at home. And at nine months his behavior is 100% normal..  welcome to the next growth spurt.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Fenugreek is the main ingredient in mother's milk tea....

But the power puping is a good suggestion.

Quoting Ethansmama2012:

If you are not comfortable with fenugreek you can also try a tea by the name of mothers milk it helped me because I can only pump and was not getting enouph but pump as much as possible also my lactation consultant suggested to me power pumping were you pump for 20 min then drink water and relax 20 min then pump again 20 min and that also helped me but only do power pumping like 3 times a day :)

addykarder19
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:31 PM
yes per session! it was a dream and a nightmare at the same time. we had a lot of spitting up issues because of having an over supply. the lactation lady said i was getting enough for triplets.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting addykarder19:

Per SESSION??????? 

addykarder19
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:34 PM

this was my freezer at one point
addykarder19
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:35 PM

i would fill a bag to a bag and a half per pumping session plus i was nursing..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)