Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I was just breastfeeding my son and he fed really well on the right side for a bit and then pulled himself off.  He then proceeded to latch back on and then shake his head back and forth tugging on my nipple until it popped back out of his mouth, then he would frantically look for it again and repeat.  So I thought maybe something was wrong and I switched him to the left side.  He fed for a while there too, then started doing it again.  He would latch, bury his face in my breast and shake his head side to side tugging on my nipple.  What the heck is he doing?

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Replies (11-16):
ChWuGu
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Yeah it makes me laugh, it just hurts when he does it.  But when he comes off he starts off with this pitiful little squeal and then after a bit goes into a full frustrated shriek 

Quoting Starshine-bela:

My LO does it too! I think it's funny. I always say he's going crazy. He yells sometimes too which just makes it funnier. He's never upset though. Always wondered why he did it. Lol

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's hysterical when they do this.  To realize that this little person who is only 7 weeks old is figuring out how to work things (or trying to figure it out)...isn't it amazing?!?!?!  They are amazing little creatures when given the chance to be in a natural environment.  This is such a common behavior...some babies do it and some don't.  

Starshine-bela
by Leah on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Yeah, if he stays latched it can be painful. He lets go a lot so it's just funny

Quoting ChWuGu:

Yeah it makes me laugh, it just hurts when he does it.  But when he comes off he starts off with this pitiful little squeal and then after a bit goes into a full frustrated shriek 

Quoting Starshine-bela:

My LO does it too! I think it's funny. I always say he's going crazy. He yells sometimes too which just makes it funnier. He's never upset though. Always wondered why he did it. Lol

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Nicki on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:38 PM

lol, mine does that. I call her sharkbite. Usually I take her off and try to burp her, give her a min to calm down and she'll go back to nursing normally.

eatyourveges
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM
2 moms liked this
My son sometimes plays like this, he's five months and always smiles at me after. Little stinker lol

Quoting PolishMamma2:

Playing! Lol, He could be trying to make your milk come down again. Better this then crying and hitting, trust me!

eatyourveges
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Ooh ha ha!

Lol

Quoting Zazayam:

lol, mine does that. I call her sharkbite. Usually I take her off and try to burp her, give her a min to calm down and she'll go back to nursing normally.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)