Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

You can't overfeed a EBF baby, right?

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM
  • 23 Replies
Someone was telling me that the reason my baby spit ups so much is becuase I'm over feeding him. They also said that he was gaining weight TOO fast. They said that every times he starts fussing I shouldn't assume he's hungry and that I should give him a pacifier.

I didn't think you could overfeed a BF baby?!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaToCollin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I dont' believe you can overfeed a bf baby, unless it's from a bottle.

Could you possibly have OAL?  Hopefully someone who is more computer savvy can post the link to kellymom!

My baby gained 4 pounds in his first month.  No biggie, he's healthy and happy!

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:45 AM
2 moms liked this

If he is EBF at the breast you cannot overfeed.  There is no concern about too much milk or too much weight for a baby at the breast.  Sure if they get too much milk they may spit up...that's okay.  Babies spit up....it is normal.  Yes, if he needs a pacifier give him one...that would be your breast.  A breast is the natural pacifier!

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Yes I believe I have OAL.

He has gained a little over 4lbs and is 5 weeks old

Quoting MamaToCollin:

Could you possibly have OAL?  Hopefully someone who is more computer savvy can post the link to kellymom!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:55 AM
He has only taken a bottle of pumped milk a handful of times and only had 2oz each time. So for the most part he is EBF.

Quoting IrishIz:

If he is EBF at the breast you cannot overfeed.  There is no concern about too much milk or too much weight for a baby at the breast.  Sure if they get too much milk they may spit up...that's okay.  Babies spit up....it is normal.  Yes, if he needs a pacifier give him one...that would be your breast.  A breast is the natural pacifier!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BennyBaby09
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Nope can't over feed a ebf baby at the breast. If it makes you feel any better my chunker gained 5 lbs in two and a half weeks at the very beginning. Went from 8.5 lbs when we left thehospital to 13.5 lbs a little over two weeks later and is now 27lbs at 13 months. Some babies grow fast...and spit up is totally normal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Not straight from the breast no, but if you have oal it could cause the high gain and spitting up.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:03 PM
I love chunky babies!

I tried to ignore it. My oldest DS was FF and he spit a lot too.

I just let it get to me

Quoting BennyBaby09:

Nope can't over feed a ebf baby at the breast. If it makes you feel any better my chunker gained 5 lbs in two and a half weeks at the very beginning. Went from 8.5 lbs when we left thehospital to 13.5 lbs a little over two weeks later and is now 27lbs at 13 months. Some babies grow fast...and spit up is totally normal.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LLbaby143
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:24 PM
No. Don't listen to who ever is giving you bad advice. Baby is fine. Spitting up is normal. Feeding when fussy is normal.... And good for supply!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:31 PM

That will settle down as you go through supply regulations.  If he's fussy, cranky, gassy, etc, after the regulation that happens next week, you may want to consider blockfeeding.  Otherwise, just let it be and enjoy your chunky baby.... and remember that we want to see an average of 1 lb gain per month during the first year so he may hit that 12 lbs gained mark by 6 months and then not gain an ounce until after his birthday and that's perfectly okay. :)

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Yes I believe I have OAL.

He has gained a little over 4lbs and is 5 weeks old

Quoting MamaToCollin:

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM
It was an older female relative. She freaked out when I was finished feeding DS and he spit so much it was coming out his nose.

Quoting LLbaby143:

No. Don't listen to who ever is giving you bad advice. Baby is fine. Spitting up is normal. Feeding when fussy is normal.... And good for supply!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN