Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone taking Fenugreek? Side effects? Is it worth it?

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:20 PM
  • 14 Replies
What are the benefits and side effects to taking Fenugreek to increase supply? I am wanting to pump more at a time to store for when I go back to work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.3xBlessed.
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM
I do, and the only downside I see is selling like syrup. I love the extra energy it gives me-and the extra milk lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slittlefield920
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:22 PM
What brand? Mg? How many should I start out taking?

Quoting .3xBlessed.:

I do, and the only downside I see is selling like syrup. I love the extra energy it gives me-and the extra milk lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:36 PM
I am not a fan of smelling like maple syrup. Also weight gain is a possible side effect which I feel has affected my ability to drop the last 10 pounds. I usually lose weight very easily when I eat right and exercise and this weight is staying put.

It acts to increase insulin release, hence the weight gain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I had an allergic reaction to it and my son was super fussy when i was taking it. It might not help if here isn't a real supply issue though. 

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Oh and there is really no reason to store up for work, you don't wanna send more than you've pumped the day before anyway or you'll never be able to keep up.

MamaTwinkleA
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Dh loved it...said I smelled like breakfast :) otherwise it didny havr much effect on my milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.3xBlessed.
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:22 PM
I take 16/day, which is not easy. I buy mine at wegmans, I will have to see the bottle to know the brand and the mg.

Quoting slittlefield920:

What brand? Mg? How many should I start out taking?

Quoting .3xBlessed.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Toxic.Stardust
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Fenugreek works fantastic, and you start smelling like maple syrup lol. About 20% of babies get really bad gas pains from it though, my DD was one of them, a couple days after I started taking it, she started getting really fussy and crying a lot, it took a few more days before I realized what was wrong.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:37 PM
2 moms liked this
You don't need a huge stash, and baby will only ever need 1-1.25oz per hour. Taking a supply booster when you don't actually have a supply problem is just a huge waste of money. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Downsides for me: diarrhea, weight gain (not sure how that was possible, since everything went right through me, but there you go), just felt generally lousy, diaper pail smelled awful--I wasn't a fan of the fenugreek pee that came out of ds

Downsides for ds: cranky, and he hated the taste that came through in my milk so if I didn't take the pills between bites of food he would refuse to nurse for hours until the taste cleared

I took it when my supply was low and we were working back to ebf from supplementing.  I wouldn't take it otherwise.

To get ready for returning to work, you only need 1 day's worth of milk in the freezer.  That means 1-1.25 oz for each hr you'll be away from baby, that's all.  Pump first thing in the morning every day and you'll have plenty.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)