Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

sick baby

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:37 PM
  • 4 Replies
Nathan has a REALLY snotty nose ive tried everything (steamy room sucking his nose vicks on feet ex.)his nose is so snotty as soon as i suck it out and he tries to nurse he cant breath so he cries.i tried giving him a bottle bot that was pointless.he looks at me like uh yea right mom.he goes to the doctor in the morning but what can i do until then? he is only a month old and he is really hungry.thank you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Try putting some breastmilk in his nose and letting it sit there for a minute or two before suctioning.  Also try nursing him in a more upright position or with you laying back and him on top of your breast.  You can try ot pump and give him some milk on a spoon or with a syringe.  If you can't get him nursing, if he develops a temperature over 100.4 rectally, or if he shows any sign of respiratory distress, don't wait until the morning for him to be seen--that's an ER visit for a newborn.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Also, no vicks on the feet--the menthol can cause infant's airways to swell and make it harder for them to breathe... even causing respiratory distress.

merinasmommy
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:54 PM
oops thank you.someone in another group said to do it...wont be listening to that again

Quoting K8wizzo:

Also, no vicks on the feet--the menthol can cause infant's airways to swell and make it harder for them to breathe... even causing respiratory distress.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Maty's brand makes a chest rub that is natural and doesn't contain menthol, so it's safe to use.  We don't use vick's on anyone in the house because of the menthol thing (it's also not safe for people with asthma, for the same reason, and we're all either too young or asthmatic).

http://www.matyshp.com/products/natural-baby-chest-rub/

Quoting merinasmommy:

oops thank you.someone in another group said to do it...wont be listening to that again

Quoting K8wizzo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN