Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

What else do i need?

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:48 PM
  • 24 Replies

hey ladies new to the group. I am 36 weeks with my second baby..i plan to fully breastfeed her. with my first i was only able to do it for almost a month and half only b.c. i was 18 and embarrassed to feed in public and i feel so bad for that..but i think im set now  i dont feel any kind of embarassement as far os public feedings so far i bought my nursing cover, nursing pads of course, i have a breastmilk storage set and i will be getting a pump later on. 

my question: what else do i need or what kind of advice can you ladies give me for doing this for atleast a yr. or longer

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvhubandbabys
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Nursing Bras..nursing tanks are nice.

Mybe a nursing pillow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yo.momma.
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:53 PM

oh yea i have 2 pillows (the babyshower) i have the boppy nurisng and the boppy lounger pillows. i had nursing bras with my first son and they were kind of uncomfortable for me so for now i just got some sports bras..opinions?

Quoting luvhubandbabys:

Mybe a nursing pillow

melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:55 PM
I just use a regular spaghetti strap tank to later under my clothes.
Do you plan on going to work after baby is born? Have you looked into whether your insurance will cover a pump? I'm not sure what a breastmilk storage kit is.
Imo all you need to be successful is boobs and a baby. I prefer bed pillows over those boppy pillows. I personally need pads cause I leak like an old faucet for over a year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
luvhubandbabys
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Maybe get fitted for the right size..I wore sports bras while pregnant toobut they kinda sucked once I was bf prolly cuz they suddenly seemed very small and were uncomfortable...I just got the medela sleep bra

Quoting yo.momma.:

oh yea i have 2 pillows (the babyshower) i have the boppy nurisng and the boppy lounger pillows. i had nursing bras with my first son and they were kind of uncomfortable for me so for now i just got some sports bras..opinions?

Quoting luvhubandbabys:

Mybe a nursing pillow

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paradys
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:58 PM
2 moms liked this
The best prep advice I was given was to set-up, at least, a weeks worth of frozen, easy to re-heat meals, find healthy snacks that are easy to eat one-handed, get a nice big water bottle, and set-up for friends and family come help with things like dishes and laundry.
Everything else is extras, these are the things that WILL get you thru.
Oh, and buy a copy of "So That's What They're For"!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yo.momma.
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:03 PM

i have a bunch of tanks i can use already. i don't plan on working right now im a SAHM. maybe later i may find a job but right now no. the storage kit my friend got me it can with a storage bottles and bags and a bunch of info on how long the milk can stay good for. i know i want to pump so my dh can have a chance at feeding her as well..i got pads b.c. with my first i was a fountain after birth as well lol

Quoting melindabelcher:

I just use a regular spaghetti strap tank to later under my clothes.
Do you plan on going to work after baby is born? Have you looked into whether your insurance will cover a pump? I'm not sure what a breastmilk storage kit is.
Imo all you need to be successful is boobs and a baby. I prefer bed pillows over those boppy pillows. I personally need pads cause I leak like an old faucet for over a year.

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I never used a nursing bra. I just used my regular bras. I tried a few and didn't like them. That's all up to you.

The best advice I can give you is read, read, read. Know everything you can as soon as you can. Some normals are:

For the first 6 wks expect baby to be on the breast pretty much 99.9999% of the time. It's important to nurse on demand. Having an older child, getting a baby carrier helped me a ton. I have a moby, a ring sling, and a woven wrap but soft structure carriers, meitais, and conversions are great too. If you get a soft structure carrier, please avoid crotch danglers.

If you are concerned about supply, count diapers. 3 tbs is 1 , more is 2, poopy is 2. I would make a sample diaper. Pour 3 tbs water in a diaper of your choice and feel it. Minimums are day 1, 1 diaper. Day 2, 2 diapers. Day 3, 3 diapers. Day 4, 4 diapers. Day 5, 5 diapers. Day 6, 6 diapers. And then 6 a day until 6 months. If you are making at least that, your supply is good.

With a hospital birth expect baby to lose weight the first week, 10% is normal for a vaginal, 13% is normal for a c-section. Dr's monitor weights too closely too soon, and that can be scary.

I think the most important thing is having a positive outlook. You can do this, you are built for it, you are awesome! Have faith in you. What you're doing right now, asking this, is a wonderful start! Congratulations on your upcoming bundle of joy! :)
TTC2Long
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I would recommend 2 good nursing bras and a few nursing tanks. You don't need the tanks, you can make due with a regular cami, but the nursing tanks make NIP so easy. I live in nursing tanks at home - those, comfy pants and a cardigan are my mama uniform. lol. I have a few cheap tanks from Target - Gillian O'Malley. They suck, but they're better than nothing. I have 2 bravado tanks as well - they're god but expensive at $49/ea. I really liked the tanks and bras at Motherhood Maternity. I got one of their $25 bras and I really like it. They have tanks with lined cups, too, which the Target cheapies don't have.

You also need a tube of pure lanolin - I like Lansinoh brand and that's what LLL recommends.

I also just got Boob Tubes from Target. lol. You can warm or freeze them depending on whether you have engorgement or clogged ducts. I haven't used them yet since they haven't arrived yet, but they got really good reviews.

Do you have a Boppy? You should also get an extra cover for that. I also had a brestfriend and hated it because you have to put the baby down to get it clipped on. The Boppy has it's drawbacks, too, but I used it a lot more.

And most importantly, don't be afraid to reach out for help, whether an LLL meeting, IBCLC or here! :)

aniters
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm 18 and still nursing my 14 month old :) all I need are my breasts and nursing pads. Maybe nursing bras sometimes.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Sports bras may be too tight and cause a clogged milk duct. You dont need to have a nursing bra, jus a comfortable bra you can pull down with no wire (wires can also causd cloghed milk ducts)

Quoting yo.momma.:

Quoting luvhubandbabys:

Mybe a nursing pillow

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN