Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

how big of a bottle?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:33 AM
  • 6 Replies
I cant remember how much milk babies need when mom is away. My hubby gave our 7 week old 4oz in one feeding. He sucked down the first 2oz bottle and was pissed so hubby gave him another 2oz. Then later he gave him another 4oz. My son nursed at 330 then I got home before 10 and he was hungry. Does that sound like too much?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Spank hubby for me. WAY too much in a bottle.

TWO ounces in a bottle. Feed one ounce, burp. Feed next ounce, burp. A feeding shoudl take a good 15 minutes.

1 - 1.25 ounces per hour you're away. Servings of 2 ounces. And food is last answer to baby's fussing, not first.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Returning to Work: The Breastfeeding Mother’s Guide

How much milk will my baby need while I’m away?

Breastfed babies need, on average, 24 to 32 ounces of milk per day (Kent et al., 2006). If you spread that amount over a full day it equals 1-1.25 ounces per hour. With that information in mind, plan on leaving about 1-1.25 ounces of milk for each hour of separation. Most breastfed babies need no more than 2-4 ounces at each feeding (Kent et al., 2006). Breastfed babies need less milk than formula-fed babies do, and unlike with formula, the amount of breastmilk your baby needs does not increase as he grows bigger. When you return to work, your baby will need only a portion of this daily amount of milk from the care provider, because he will still be getting much of it by breastfeeding during the hours of the day and night when you are together.

AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:42 AM
I thought it sounded like way too much! I was shocked when he told me he had ate that much. I guess baby was downing the bottle really fast. (Its a slow flow nipple.)

Thanks

Quoting gdiamante:

Spank hubby for me. WAY too much in a bottle.

TWO ounces in a bottle. Feed one ounce, burp. Feed next ounce, burp. A feeding shoudl take a good 15 minutes.

1 - 1.25 ounces per hour you're away. Servings of 2 ounces. And food is last answer to baby's fussing, not first.

AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Thanks. That about what I thought but it had been awhile I couldn't remeber for sure.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Returning to Work: The Breastfeeding Mother’s Guide

How much milk will my baby need while I’m away?

Breastfed babies need, on average, 24 to 32 ounces of milk per day (Kent et al., 2006). If you spread that amount over a full day it equals 1-1.25 ounces per hour. With that information in mind, plan on leaving about 1-1.25 ounces of milk for each hour of separation. Most breastfed babies need no more than 2-4 ounces at each feeding (Kent et al., 2006). Breastfed babies need less milk than formula-fed babies do, and unlike with formula, the amount of breastmilk your baby needs does not increase as he grows bigger. When you return to work, your baby will need only a portion of this daily amount of milk from the care provider, because he will still be getting much of it by breastfeeding during the hours of the day and night when you are together.

PolishMamma2
by Marta on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Too much. Sometimes when babies get too full they act like there still hungry. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Sounds like baby was cradled laying down when giving the bottle..bottle should be almost parallel to the ground not pointing down. And baby should be burped after each ounce. Paced feeds
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN