Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How long? (storage question)

Posted by   + Show Post
How long can freshly expressed bm be at room temp before it must be frozen? I know they say about 8 hrs before it has to be consumed but can it be frozen after sitting out a while?

I pumped a couple of oz's before leaving the house to get dd from school assuming he would wake while I sat in the pick up line but he didn't. I would like to just throw the bottle in the freezer to save it for when he goes to daycare in a couple weeks, if it's safe.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Replies (11-14):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

http://www.bflrc.com/ljs/breastfeeding/shakenot.htm

Quoting littlelambe2:

Do you have a link I could save?

Quoting K8wizzo:

Don't Shake the Milk

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC

Why not?

Because shaking expressed mothers' milk (or boiling or freezing it) denatures the shaped molecules of the protective proteins, leaving only the pieces - the amino acids - the parts. Lactoferrin, lysozyme, and other protective components work their protection magic when they are in their original shaped molecular structure. Some components remain intact, even during freezing, shaking or heating. They not only protect the gut from many kinds of infection, but also prevent inflammation of the gut lining. Even broken up, the separate amino acids are still really good stuff and are digested by the baby as nutrients.

Imagine a set of pop-beads assembled into a necklace or bracelet. When the beads are acting as a bracelet or necklace, they are doing their job as protective elements. When you break apart the beads, you have in your hand many individual chunks of amino acids which are then digested.

Cellular components are also susceptible to damage by physical stress. After all, they are living cells.

With mother's milk, you get at least two functions for the price of one. With manufactured formula, you only get the individual beads, never the necklace or bracelet. And never the living cells.

So, please handle human milk gently, respectfully and kindly. It's far more than perfect food for babies - it's a living tissue and protective shield too.

Quoting momdays:

Why does it need to be twirled instead of shaken?

Quoting mckinneymom918:

Twirl it like a tornado to mix it.

Quoting isaacsmommy68:

I have froze mine after beeing in the fridge for 5 days. I dont want to waste it, so if it has not been used by the end of the week it gets frozen. Just make sure you shake it to get the fat that floats to the top back in it before you freeze (unless you are freezing it in the container you pumped into)

Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:53 PM
So freezing is bad? O.o

Quoting K8wizzo:

Don't Shake the Milk

Why not?

Because shaking expressed mothers' milk (or boiling or freezing it) denatures the shaped molecules of the protective proteins, leaving only the pieces - the amino acids - the parts. Lactoferrin, lysozyme, and other protective components work their protection magic when they are in their original shaped molecular structure. Some components remain intact, even during freezing, shaking or heating. They not only protect the gut from many kinds of infection, but also prevent inflammation of the gut lining. Even broken up, the separate amino acids are still really good stuff and are digested by the baby as nutrients.

Imagine a set of pop-beads assembled into a necklace or bracelet. When the beads are acting as a bracelet or necklace, they are doing their job as protective elements. When you break apart the beads, you have in your hand many individual chunks of amino acids which are then digested.

Cellular components are also susceptible to damage by physical stress. After all, they are living cells.

With mother's milk, you get at least two functions for the price of one. With manufactured formula, you only get the individual beads, never the necklace or bracelet. And never the living cells.

So, please handle human milk gently, respectfully and kindly. It's far more than perfect food for babies - it's a living tissue and protective shield too.

Quoting momdays:

Quoting mckinneymom918:

Quoting isaacsmommy68:

I have froze mine after beeing in the fridge for 5 days. I dont want to waste it, so if it has not been used by the end of the week it gets frozen. Just make sure you shake it to get the fat that floats to the top back in it before you freeze (unless you are freezing it in the container you pumped into)

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Frozen milk is still FAR FAR FAR better than formula.  However, the breastmilk heirarchy goes like this (best to, well, not perfect but still great):

breastmilk directly at the breast--baby's saliva tells mom's body exactly what is needed

freshly expressed breastmilk

refrigerate breastmilk

frozen breastmilk

donor milk

Quoting Mrsfarr:

So freezing is bad? O.o

Quoting K8wizzo:

Don't Shake the Milk

Why not?

Quoting momdays:

Quoting mckinneymom918:

Quoting isaacsmommy68:

Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Hm. I kept thinking milk is milk and it didn't really matter but that actually makes sense. I've never heard before that freezing could damage it so I'm all amazed by the new information.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Frozen milk is still FAR FAR FAR better than formula.  However, the breastmilk heirarchy goes like this (best to, well, not perfect but still great):

breastmilk directly at the breast--baby's saliva tells mom's body exactly what is needed

freshly expressed breastmilk

refrigerate breastmilk

frozen breastmilk

donor milk

Quoting Mrsfarr:

So freezing is bad? O.o

Quoting K8wizzo:

Don't Shake the Milk

Why not?

Quoting momdays:

Quoting mckinneymom918:

Quoting isaacsmommy68:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)