Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Ideas? Tips? Bf and sleep

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:31 PM
  • 41 Replies
Hi mamas,
I am seeking some advice about sleep and breastfeeding. My daughter is almost 4months and I normally nurse her whenever she would like but I try to push for every 2 hours sometimes. Though my question is, my daughter usually always nurses to sleep. It seems like she won't go to sleep any other way . I was wondering what are some ways you have found helpful to putting baby to sleep without nursing? Also, she doesn't allow me to put her down while asleep or she wakes up in a minute. How can I put her down and allow her to stay asleep so I may do some household chores.? Thanks for the ideas,. I appreciate it.

MamaBoyer.
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:36 PM
2 moms liked this

At 4 months old, nurisng to sleep is perfectly normal.  I would invest in a sling or wrap so that she can nurse and sleep while you get soem things done. :)

Until her first birthday, you need to nurse on demand whether she wants to nurse every hour or every 3 hours.  No trying to space out or schedule feedings or you could risk her becoming malnourished.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I double ditto K8!!! I nursed all 4 of my babies to sleep for at least their first year. It's my superhuman mother trick.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Nursing to sleep is normal. It is a great tool! It is like having a magic wand to put your baby to sleep. She will naturally learn to go to sleep without nursing, all on her own, just like she will learn to crawl, walk, and talk without you actively "teaching" her to do so.

For naps, I'm all about whatever works! My DD napped in her swing in the living room for the first 6 months. I could keep an eye on her while I got stuff done.she also took a lot of naps strapped to me in the Moby wrap.  At 6 months I started nursing her to sleep and putting her in her crib, and it worked.

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:25 PM
DS still nurses to sleep at 21 months old. It's the natural way for a baby to go to sleep. I agree with getting a sling if you want to do stuff while the baby is sleeping.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I don't know, I nursed my son to sleep until I had to wean him at 25 months. I babywear in order to get stuff done.

BundleOfJoy2011
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:04 PM

My baby is 13 months old and the only way I can easily get my daughter to sleep without frustration at bedtime is by nursing her. She takes her nap just fine without and sometimes she just wants to cuddle to go to sleep but nursing is natural and a huge comfort to them especially at 4 months. Have you tried using a swing to put her in after you get her to sleep.. That what I had to do from about 3 months to around 6 just for her to stay asleep when I put her down.

littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Sorry, I dont have any tips. My dd nursed to sleep almost every nap and bedtime until she was 23 months old. It's normal, natural, and beneficial. Once the nursing was done, dd quit napping anywhere and everywhere. Lol. Nursing to sleep is such a useful tool. It never was a bother for me. 

MamaBoyer
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Thanks all! Nursing to sleep is amazing and I love it! I just need to figure out a way to also get things done I just wish it didn't wake her. She won't sleep unless I'm holding her. So nap time isn't a time I can get things done at the moment.
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Quoting MamaBoyer:

Thanks all! Nursing to sleep is amazing and I love it! I just need to figure out a way to also get things done I just wish it didn't wake her. She won't sleep unless I'm holding her. So nap time isn't a time I can get things done at the moment.

have you tried wearing her?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
SadieJames
by Sarah on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I made dinner tonight and 30 dozen cookies while my 6 week old dd nursed then snoozed in her ring sling.  Can you wear your dd?

Quoting MamaBoyer:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)