Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

beer & bm??

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:40 AM
  • 13 Replies
My baby is 2 weeks old today so mil came and made dinner for us to 'celebrate', as we sat down to eat dd decided she too wanted dinner so I nursed her as I ate and when she fell asleep I layed her in her swing so we could all play yatzee and about an hour and a half later baby was hungry again so I started feeding her and asked my bf to get me some water, mil says no get her a beer instead it's better for her milk so baby won't be hungry as often. I've heard before that beer is good for your milk but I always thought it was an old wives tale..so I figured I'd ask you ladies what the real story is on beer and bm??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaSince2005
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Dark beer helps boost supply. That's it.
Btw, it's normal for bf babies to eat often for the first month or two
mamabear1111
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:53 AM
I didn't think she was eating too often but that was coming from someone who ff all her kids so maybe it just seemed often to her

Quoting MamaSince2005:

MamaSince2005
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:01 AM
That's true. People who ff often assume that we aren't making enough for our babies just because they are fed more often. :-/

Quoting mamabear1111:

I didn't think she was eating too often but that was coming from someone who ff all her kids so maybe it just seemed often to her

Quoting MamaSince2005:

mamabear1111
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Dd is 2 weeks and still not at her birth weight so I had to keep reassuring mil and both sil that my baby is eating enough and is perfectly fine ....so annoying =/

Quoting MamaSince2005:

That's true. People who ff often assume that we aren't making enough for our babies just because they are fed more often. :-/

Quoting mamabear1111:

Quoting MamaSince2005:

Blue_Spiral
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:13 AM

From what I've read, the theory of dark beer boosting supply isn't supported by evidence.

I'll look for a link to some research on it if you like.

Beer doesn't actually boost supply and more than 1-2 beers does make it into your milk.

New babies nurse A LOT no matter what you do, and they are supposed to.

If they start nursing like an older baby something is probably wrong.

MamaSince2005
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:19 AM
Dark beer has more hops. It worked wonders for my cousin. But it's diff for every body, it didn't really work for me. But i hate the taste of dark beer any way.
SRB212
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:39 AM
I am confused....if you drink alcohol won't it get in your milk?
SadieJames
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:45 AM

At the same rate it gets into your blood, yes.  Alcohol is metabolized in all bodily fluids at the same rate.  One or two drinks are fine since they are usually metabolized as fast as you drink them or only make your blood (and milk) alcohol level less than .08%.  Safe to drive=safe to nurse.  If you're feeling buzzed then you have to pump and dump if you're engorged.  Once your buzz wears off you can nurse again.  You DO NOT have to pump and dump if you do not feel buzzed.

I have nursed while having a beer or a glass of wine.  

Quoting SRB212:

I am confused....if you drink alcohol won't it get in your milk?

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 21, 2013 at 5:34 AM
It will only help if you have supply problems to begin with which cannot be determined by how often a baby eats.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:09 AM
I heard an LC say non-alcoholic beer helped, too. My mother, who is a retired L&D nurse with a history of bad advice, says they gave beer to new moms because it helped them relax.

Some people swear it helps. But this is from kellymom.com:

"Alcohol does not increase milk production. In fact, babies nurse more frequently but take in less milk in the 3-4 hours after mom has had a drink, and one study showed a 23% decrease in milk volume with one drink (Mennella & Beauchamp 1991, 1993; Mennella 1997, 1999)."

And from Dr Hale:

"What does alcohol do to your milk supply? New data now clearly demonstrates that alcohol actually inhibits oxytocin release from the pituitary, thus it impedes the letdown process so that milk is not released from the breast as efficiently. Some studies report a 23% reduction in milk release while alcohol is present in the mother’s blood. (1) In another study, alcohol completely blocked the release of oxytocin. (2)

The old suggestions that beer enhances milk production are simply wrong. It actually reduces the release of milk from the breast. If you have a robust milk supply, and your infant is gaining well, an occasional drink followed by a waiting period is unlikely to reduce your milk supply."
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN