Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

HI ladies! IM getting ready to bring another beautiful boy into the world...Im 39 weeks today. I was not successful in BF my first for longer than a month. I will be successful this time! :-) But I have a question...

When baby is nursing...how will I know when he's successfully drained one breast and its time to switch to the other?

I know to always offer both breasts. If he doesnt want the second one, should I pump that one to make them evenly drained? Or should I just keep track of which side to start from next time? I remember never knowing this with my first and I would like a clear answer so I know ahead of time with this baby. :-) 

Thank you ladies!!!!

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Replies (11-20):
amc103
by Alli on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Cool! Knowing what I know now, that makes perfect sense, although I didnt think of it till you posted this! THANK YOU! I have a PLAN!!! So getting excited, if you cant tell! LOL! HUGS!

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

There is no need to pump really ever. It will not help your milk come in faster. Whatever you make those first few days will be enough. No matter the size of the child. Just feed on demand whether it be ever 2 hours or every 2 minutes and you will make enough milk.

GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this
It took my son almost 4 months before he was ready to nirse from both breasts in a sitting. Just switch it up. Always offer the other side but don't worry if its not wanted. I remember my mom saying I only ever nursed from the one side lol. It was just bad timing on her part that she never saw the other side.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM

You've gotten great advice! You can do this!  Just remember baby's behavior means nothing! It is perfectly normal for them to act like starving ravenous hyenas and be attached 24/7 the first 6 ish weeks. Count diaper 

pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM
You have gotten awesome advice so far. My advice to you is right now make a list of all the reason why you want to be successful at breast feeding this time and what it would mean to you if you were not.
the first few weeks are the hardest and any time you want to give up you should read that so you have motivation, because sometimes we makes bad decisions when we are emotional and regret them later.
Congrats on your baby and you can do this.
The first few weeks, anytime your son opens his eyes, moves his hands up, whimpers, looks at you, offer him the breast and just count dipes too. Focus on cuddling and nursing and you will do great.
Good luck momma.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:43 PM
I had a horrible experience nursing my first. I listened to the "medical professionals" and my nursing relationship lasted 7 weeks. So with DD, I made it a mission to learn all I could and go longer. I nursed her for 22 months until my milk changed because I was pregnant with DS2.
Don't beat yourself up over the past. It's a learning experience and once you know better you do better. ;) We are all here if you need us wither it be a question or just to vent or if something doesn't sound right.

Quoting amc103:

Oooo! thats good to know too! At least, if I end up having another section, my milk might come in faster! that would be great!!!! Thats the thing, my DS was not on my breast nearly as much as he should have been...I had a really bad experience and was drugged up and out of it for the frst two days...breaks my heart to think of it. :-(

Quoting shortyali:

I have experience with nursing after a section. I did not pump for the first few weeks with any of my babies. Just let them do their thing. Keep baby on your breast as much as possible. The more they nurse the faster your milk comes in. Each time is different. With DS1 it took 4-5 days for my milk, with DD 2 days and this time with DS2 it took 2 days also. With DS2 he was having normal seedy yellow poops by the time he was 3 days old but he also was attached to me almost 24/7. Good luck momma and congrats!!

Quoting amc103:

AWESOME! Thank you so much! That helps a lot! With DS1 I had a TON of milk. I was pumping all the time....I was told to do so by my OB, nurses...oh Lord I got so much bad info with DS1. :-/ So let me ask  you this....I had a c section and it took my milk about 4 days to come in....DS1 was 11 lbs 6 oz so he was HUNGRY! (at least it seemed!) I was advised to pump alot in those 4 days to stimulate my milk to come in...was that good or bad advice? Also, if it was good advice, should I have stopped pumping once my milk came in and just let DS regulate it? I dont have to go back to work this time, so I dont really need any stored milk. 

Quoting lifetimelove:

Let the baby nurse for as long as he wants on one side.  When he's finished nursing, burp him then offer him the second side.  You can put a rubber band or bracelet on the wrist of the side you offered last - that is the side you should start with the next feeding.  Don't pump the second side (unless you're storing up milk to go back to work).  That signals your body to make more milk.  Which may seem like a good thing, but doing this in the early weeks can actually cause you to make too much milk.  I can speak from experience, dealing with oversupply is NOT a fun thing.  Your baby alone is more than plenty to make sure you make enough milk.  =)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amc103
by Alli on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I have not but I will now! Thanks for the tip! And I'll be posting news, photos and asking TONS of questions here Im sure! :-) LOL!

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Have you looked at kellymom.com?. Another excellent resource! Let us know when your little man arrives!

amc103
by Alli on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:38 AM
1 mom liked this

hahahahah! This cracked me up! Such a good way to describe those little hungry babies! :-) Thank you so much for the support!

Quoting mamabens:

You've gotten great advice! You can do this!  Just remember baby's behavior means nothing! It is perfectly normal for them to act like starving ravenous hyenas and be attached 24/7 the first 6 ish weeks. Count diaper 

amc103
by Alli on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:41 AM
1 mom liked this

THIS is awesome advice too! You're right! I quit BF'ing last time because I was so tired and had no support, that I just gave up! I regret it, but plan on changing it this time around so it WOULD be a good idea to have a visiual of why its the best decision. Thank you so much! You know, about a year ago, I read an artical (I forgot where) about African babies. It said something to the effect that the mothers put them to the breast for everything and anything. They know that baby should pretty much be attached at the boob/hip for a while! It said that because of this, those babies slept better, learned better, etc. :-) I wish I could find it! It would be a great artical for this group. 

Quoting pinkiebabii:

You have gotten awesome advice so far. My advice to you is right now make a list of all the reason why you want to be successful at breast feeding this time and what it would mean to you if you were not.
the first few weeks are the hardest and any time you want to give up you should read that so you have motivation, because sometimes we makes bad decisions when we are emotional and regret them later.
The first few weeks, anytime your son opens his eyes, moves his hands up, whimpers, looks at you, offer him the breast and just count dipes too. Focus on cuddling and nursing and you will do great.
Good luck momma.

amc103
by Alli on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:46 AM

What a great and inspiring story you have! Thank you for the kind words and support. :-) Im so happy that you made it your mission to do better the second time around....that's exactly what Im planning! What is the deal with medical "professionals"? After my birth experience with my first, I have a much different view on Doctors and what I should take from them. They are medical advisors! Not medical Gods! My husband always points out that I (tactfuly-most of the time, tee hee!) challange 90 percent of what IM told by my doctors because WE have to be our advocates. They can give advice but its up to us to make our own decisions. 

Quoting shortyali:

I had a horrible experience nursing my first. I listened to the "medical professionals" and my nursing relationship lasted 7 weeks. So with DD, I made it a mission to learn all I could and go longer. I nursed her for 22 months until my milk changed because I was pregnant with DS2.
Don't beat yourself up over the past. It's a learning experience and once you know better you do better. ;) We are all here if you need us wither it be a question or just to vent or if something doesn't sound right.

Quoting amc103:

Oooo! thats good to know too! At least, if I end up having another section, my milk might come in faster! that would be great!!!! Thats the thing, my DS was not on my breast nearly as much as he should have been...I had a really bad experience and was drugged up and out of it for the frst two days...breaks my heart to think of it. :-(

Quoting shortyali:

I have experience with nursing after a section. I did not pump for the first few weeks with any of my babies. Just let them do their thing. Keep baby on your breast as much as possible. The more they nurse the faster your milk comes in. Each time is different. With DS1 it took 4-5 days for my milk, with DD 2 days and this time with DS2 it took 2 days also. With DS2 he was having normal seedy yellow poops by the time he was 3 days old but he also was attached to me almost 24/7. Good luck momma and congrats!!

Quoting amc103:

AWESOME! Thank you so much! That helps a lot! With DS1 I had a TON of milk. I was pumping all the time....I was told to do so by my OB, nurses...oh Lord I got so much bad info with DS1. :-/ So let me ask  you this....I had a c section and it took my milk about 4 days to come in....DS1 was 11 lbs 6 oz so he was HUNGRY! (at least it seemed!) I was advised to pump alot in those 4 days to stimulate my milk to come in...was that good or bad advice? Also, if it was good advice, should I have stopped pumping once my milk came in and just let DS regulate it? I dont have to go back to work this time, so I dont really need any stored milk. 

Quoting lifetimelove:

Let the baby nurse for as long as he wants on one side.  When he's finished nursing, burp him then offer him the second side.  You can put a rubber band or bracelet on the wrist of the side you offered last - that is the side you should start with the next feeding.  Don't pump the second side (unless you're storing up milk to go back to work).  That signals your body to make more milk.  Which may seem like a good thing, but doing this in the early weeks can actually cause you to make too much milk.  I can speak from experience, dealing with oversupply is NOT a fun thing.  Your baby alone is more than plenty to make sure you make enough milk.  =)

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:58 AM
1 mom liked this

The article might be breastfeeding in Mongolia. I posted it not long ago while looking for something else. It's one of my favs. Lol

Quoting amc103:

THIS is awesome advice too! You're right! I quit BF'ing last time because I was so tired and had no support, that I just gave up! I regret it, but plan on changing it this time around so it WOULD be a good idea to have a visiual of why its the best decision. Thank you so much! You know, about a year ago, I read an artical (I forgot where) about African babies. It said something to the effect that the mothers put them to the breast for everything and anything. They know that baby should pretty much be attached at the boob/hip for a while! It said that because of this, those babies slept better, learned better, etc. :-) I wish I could find it! It would be a great artical for this group. 

Quoting pinkiebabii:

Good luck momma.

BabyFruit Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)