Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

1 year old strike

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:47 AM
  • 6 Replies

I have no experience with this since my 1st ds nursed until he was 27 months. But Liam who just turned one last week on the 13th is not feeling well he has an ear infection in both ears so I think that is part of it but he has not nursed since Tuesday morning. I took him to the ER and got him on some antibiotics for the ears and also have been giving him Motrin for pain and fever but he is refusing to nurse. he screams and turns his head away and refuses. Even when he is asleep I try to trick him into it and he still will not even attempt to nurse.

I have been pumping to relieve engorgement and he will take a few sips of the milk in his sippy cup if its cold but even that he don't seem interested in. He wont eat any solids and water seems to be the only fluids I can get him to drink. Im afraid he will never nurse again anyone have any advice on how to get him to nurse. I hear stories of babies self weaning after 1 year or after getting sick.

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mom_to_Lincoln
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:07 PM

BUMP!

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this
He may have some kind of stomach upset from the antibiotic. Can you get some probiotic and mix it with the breastmilk in the sippy cup?

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM
I would also try a gently warmed rice compress for while he is nursing. Play with it to see where it might do the most good. I'd try over the ears or back or neck or along a jaw. Try different positions. Lying down or sitting straight up. A dangle latch mught also help. Keep offering.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aimhawk
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I don't know, but we'v been going through something similar with teething. He used to nurse 6+ times a day and now I'm lucky if he does 3 times. :(

collinsmommy0
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Just keep offering & let him have skin to skin time.

DS has had 2 nursing strikes in Jan - 20 months old - both times due to a nasty stomach bug. Both times he went back to nursing. Just keep offering!
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Thats what i was thinking

Quoting MusherMaggie:

He may have some kind of stomach upset from the antibiotic. Can you get some probiotic and mix it with the breastmilk in the sippy cup?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN