Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

He won't stop biting

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:05 PM
  • 7 Replies
At 10 1/2 months I'm seriously ready to give up!!
I've tried everything! I'm bleeding, scabing, crying. He is crying because I won't let him relatch. I offer approximately 4 times an hour. I get bit roughly 5-10 times every time I offer. If I scream and put him down , when I pick him back up he sucks maybe 45 sec then bites and hard!!!
What do I do? My goal was 3 years and I don't know if I can make it 11 months:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
FebPenguins
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Are you doing any solids?  I'm just curious if he is not hungry when you are offering?

Maybe you've tried these?

Say OUCH! Loudly and say NO BITING or we quit.

Squeeze baby face into boob to shut off air so baby lets go.

Flick face with finger.

Just simply put baby down.

I've been fortunate not to have had biting issues. The above are things I have read. (Please don't bash if the above are not effective, but I would love to hear gentle criticizm if they really don't)

pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:41 PM

The ouch and putting down hasn't worked for me, but I heard great things about it.
He likes to bite me right before he unlatches so I don't have to make him let go. It's like he bites down and pulls off while he is still biting.
I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with flicking. No judging of moms that do but I don't think I can. Maybe I'll try but I would have to discuss it with SO. I think it would be worth it to keep bfing going.
Yes he does eat solids but if I don't give him any he will still bite me:(
I feel like I'm failing!!!

Quoting FebPenguins:

Are you doing any solids?  I'm just curious if he is not hungry when you are offering?

Flick face with finger.

I've been fortunate not to have had biting issues. The above are things I have read. (Please don't bash if the above are not effective, but I would love to hear gentle criticizm if they really don't)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FebPenguins
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE!!! Just the fact you are reaching out for help shows that.

http://nurshable.com/2013/02/21/why-you-are-not-failing-as-a-mama/

I should also mention she is one of the mods of this group, and has AWESOME insight!!

Quoting pinkiebabii:

The ouch and putting down hasn't worked for me, but I heard great things about it.
He likes to bite me right before he unlatches so I don't have to make him let go. It's like he bites down and pulls off while he is still biting.
I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with flicking. No judging of moms that do but I don't think I can. Maybe I'll try but I would have to discuss it with SO. I think it would be worth it to keep bfing going.

Quoting FebPenguins:

Flick face with finger.

FebPenguins
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Quoting FebPenguins:

YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE!!! Just the fact you are reaching out for help shows that.

http://nurshable.com/2013/02/21/why-you-are-not-failing-as-a-mama/

I should also mention she is one of the mods of this group, and has AWESOME insight!!

Quoting pinkiebabii:

Quoting FebPenguins:

Flick face with finger.

SoKamele
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM

When my son bit me around 6/7 months old........I told him no...gently.....and he smiled at me and started to do it again......and I told him no again.

The next time it happened a few days later.......it suprised and hurt me so bad...I popped him in mouth.......he was crying.......I was crying......hubby was yelling. I want to add it was pure reflex.....needless to say......he didn't bite me again...and I BF for 5 more months.

GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I'll tell you my son was doing this too and I had to go to flicking. Crying out and putting him down had no impact. He just laughed the little heathen. Now when I say flick I do not mean hard at all. Try it on yourself. It has to be crazy gentle but it finally jolted him from doing it. Gentlw enough that i can do it in his sleep and he doesnt flinch. But he found it disruptive so he got mad. It only took a few time. He was dragging his teeth off while unlatching. Its not my first choice but its gotten me 8 more months of nursing. Some kids just don't respond to the normal tactics.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:10 PM

When he bites, your INSTANT reaction is "baby solitary." Put him down in a safe place where he cannot follow you, and pointedly give him NO attention for five minutes. If he cries, fine. This is a consequence.

Not ONE bit of solids till he's nursed nicely. When he DOES nurse nicely, give im something he likes immediately.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN