Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Impressed with Avvanah's doctor as usual :-)

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:26 PM
  • 9 Replies

I hear so many bad stories on here about doctors pushing for babies to be weaned after one year or even before.

We were at the ped with Avvanah on Monday for a follow up from the hospital and to get checked because she was so sick (turns out she had the flu and the hospital missed it)
We were talking and Avvananah started pulling my shirt and being over all rude lol. I told her she'd have to wait a minute that she'd be okay she just finished eating a few minutes before and could wait a few before doing it again.
The pediatrician looked at us then and asked if i was still nursing her to which of course i replied all the time lol.

She got this big smile on her face and said what a good mommy i was and encouraged me to breastfeed as long as i wanted to do so because it was amazing for her. I was so happy with that response. BTW DD is 17 months old

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Awesome, we need more docs like that! I'm still nursing DS as well, he's 18 months old and I'm 10wks pregnant with # 2, hope we can make it through the pregnancy, at least until he's 2. :-) BTW you are a good mommy!

SweetOrangeMama
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Awesome! Our doc is supportive as well. My son is 28 months & still nursing like crazy & she always says how good that is. I intend to let him self wean which she is also supportive of.
GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:03 PM
My doctor is awesome like this too. He always is happy we're nursing. He reminds us that he sokids are secondary as long as he's nursing and ds is almost 20 months.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM
My dr sucks. She is supposedly the most pro-breastfeeding dr in the practice yet with both my dd's she told me at 9 months I should probably switch to formula because she speculated my milk no longer had any nutrition. She wasn't pleased with me at a year, then 15 months and 18 months and 2 years, when I was still nursing. They didn't ask me at 3 years, otherwise she'd have been upset then, too. ;-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM

AWESOME

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Love this! Love love love this!!!! 

Quoting mitty18: She got this big smile on her face and said what a good mommy i was and encouraged me to breastfeed as long as i wanted to do so because it was amazing for her.  

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

terpmama
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:06 PM
My doc rocks!! I was nursing my then 15 month old when got the cold from hell... Major congestion and nothing basic (steam, nasal rinses, ginger, tea...) would touch it. I hadn't slept in days really, so I went to the doc (my throat was getting worse and I wanted to make sure it wasn't strep)... And told him to "just please make it stop" and if I had to wean so be it, cause mama needed to breathe!! He giggled then said, "lets see what we can do without having to give up the nursing". He knew it was important to me, and even though I was desperate, he was going to respect that.
mitty18
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Ya know, we NEED more doctors out there like these doctors. To encourage their patient's mommas to breastfeed as long as possible and not suggest formula at every turn.

ria7
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:06 PM

We just went to the pedi. It came up that I was on a no dairy diet. She said why are you still on that? I said becasue we are still nursing. She had a confused look and was like Oh Ok. She didn't frown on it but it took her totally by suprise like she'd never thought of that. My dd is only 13.5 months. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)