Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Did fenugreek work for *you*??

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi ladies,

I've been having problems BFing and I have to pump and dump for a little while. My milk supply plummeted, and my IBCLCs started me on fenugreek. I feel like I'm taking a SHITLOAD of it... three 610mg capsules three times a day, up from two a day, as they suggested. But my body hasn't responded to it at ALL, my supply is still devastatingly low, and now I'm getting mild headaches every day.

Has anyone else had problems with fenugreek, or is it supposed to work? I wasn't sure if it just doesn't work the same for everyone, because all I've ever heard is that it makes your milk supply go nuts. I have to visit the CLCs next week but I was just wondering if other BFers have tried fenugreek and had no success with it...

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Replies (11-20):
muchlovedby4
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM
My sister had supply issues with ger newest LO, so i researched Fenugreek. (Thanks BF'ing mommies! :D) She started at 3/3x a day and had no problems gaining supply. Try other natural helpers and up water intake.

Sorry i couldn't be more help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Nope didn't work for me, I didn't need it and thought I did. All it left me with was a headache and a horribly itchy rash on my back!

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM
It worked for me and i was an exclusively pumping mom. I had to keep increasing it though and at one point was taking 5 pills three times a day
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SnowFlakeMomma
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I was taking it for a little while but it didn't seem to effect my supply any. I mostly pump (working mom) but try to nurse in the morning & eveings I noticed my little girl didn't want to nurse from me when I tried but when I stopped the fenugreek recently, she wanted to nurse from me again. I don't know if that has a connection or not but now I've just been putting in more pumping sessions to increase my supply.

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:11 PM

It works for me, but gives me debilitating migraines, so I can't take it.  I can't get out of bed, let alone nurse or pump, which would set my supply back again.  Vicious cycle

MamaMerkle126
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I pump every 2-3 hours, including overnight, and I get between a half ounce and an ounce per breast, per session.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

I understand you want to trust your doctors, but per Lactmed and Dr. Hale, that med is safe to take while nursing as long as your baby was full term and healthy. There's really no disputing what Lactmed and Dr. Hale says about meds, they're the "bible" of breastfeeding and meds.
How often are you pumping and how much are you getting?

MamaMerkle126
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Thanks to all for the input!

1stpreggers
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:48 PM

you have to take alot but, it works! I took it with my ds, but it gave me bad gas. Lactaction cookies also helped me a lot and they taste great.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

The good news is that normal pump output is half an ounce to two ounces TOTAL per session... both sides.

You're doing better than you realize. I'd keep the sessions to every two hours daytime, three hours at night. If you want to get more, then every two hours without fail. You might even consider bumping daytime frequency to every 90 minutes. You aren't likely to get more per session... but more sessions add up.

Quoting MamaMerkle126:

I pump every 2-3 hours, including overnight, and I get between a half ounce and an ounce per breast, per session.

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I took it, along with blessed thistle.. worked well for me! 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)