Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Should I wait

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:50 AM
  • 3 Replies

So I posted this question in another group, but I wanted to ask something a little more specific.

I have a 12 y/o, an 8 y/o and a 4 month old. Hubby and I have decided that we do want one more. The plan was to wait a few years before trying, but my IUD recently fell out so we're now talking about just leaving it out and letting whatever's going to happen happen, but we're not 100% sure on that just yet. I ebf, no period yet, and as of right now not pregnant. I've so far not gotten pregnant too quickly when I was trying for a baby, so it could take a while, but then again maybe not.

The more I think about it I'm worried about nursing while pregnant and then nursing a year-ish old and a new baby. Is it very much harder? I don't want to sacrifice anything for either baby.. Would it hurt baby1 to go back to newborn milk when baby2 comes? Or would I even make the newborn milk (drawing a blank on the name.. colo-something?) if I was full time nursing baby1?

Also with my boys I had pre-term labor issues and had them both about a month and a half early, the girl was a couple weeks late, but through the whole pregnancy the doc told me to be careful and watch for the signs of pre-term labor. Would nipple stimulation from nursing be an issue?

I'm going to talk to my doctor about it all, just wanted a lil advice if any of you have had babies close together.

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:11 AM
If you get pregnant before your baby is a year old you run the risk of losing your supply. Some women lose it soon after finding out, others not until months later. At some point it will turn back to colostrum, even if you're already nursing. This is less of a concern after your baby is a year old because we assume the toddler will be taking solids and not as dependent on breastmilk as primary nutrition. After the new baby is born, the colostrum matures to regular breastmilk.

Regarding your preterm labor, where you on pelvic rest, advised not to have sex or orgasms? If not, it's unlikely the baby you're already nursing will turn into a labor trigger.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:04 AM
What pp said. I want another but i don't want to use formula so we'll be waiting until he's a year
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:40 AM

This.

QMuoting mostlymaydays:

If you get pregnant before your baby is a year old you run the risk of losing your supply. Some women lose it soon after finding out, others not until months later. At some point it will turn back to colostrum, even if you're already nursing. This is less of a concern after your baby is a year old because we assume the toddler will be taking solids and not as dependent on breastmilk as primary nutrition. After the new baby is born, the colostrum matures to regular breastmilk.

Regarding your preterm labor, where you on pelvic rest, advised not to have sex or orgasms? If not, it's unlikely the baby you're already nursing will turn into a labor trigger.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN