Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

8 months old and baby food?

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM
  • 11 Replies
DD is almost 8 months old and I've been trying to get her to eat jarred food for about a month. She will not eat it. Occasionally I can get her to eat a couple spoon fulls, but that's if I'm lucky. However, if I put sliced cucumber or something she can pick up herself, she loves it (although most of it still ends up in her seat lol)

I didn't nurse DD1 very long, so idk how normal this is to refuse baby food. Whenever I put the spoon towards her mouth she clamps her lips shut lol.

Will she be ok just eating foods she can pick up and eat herself without me spoon feeding her at all? What are some good finger foods for her?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM
I would ditch the jar foods. We never did them, we went straight to fresg finger.foods :)
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

It's absolutely fine for her to never eat jarred foods--do you think that cavebabies ate gerber? :)  Just put anything soft or easy to gum in front of her and let her go to town.  My kids loved shreds of steak and chicken, cooked veggies, and pieces of fruit.  By 8 months, I just took a little bit of what I was eating off of my plate and put it in front of them.

MalakbelLacuna
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:29 PM
skip jarred food
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Eliots_momma
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Skip the jars. As long as you are nursing, baby is getting what she needs.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Baby's *never* need purees. Let her feed herself. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mantidae
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Don't worry about it!  "Babyfood" is over-rated, and the whole thing is just a gimmick to sell more product.  Give her what she wants to eat (that is healthy and not a choking hazard, of course).  We barely ever used jarred food.

I'm a tree-hugging, breastfeeding, non-circing, vaxing, co-sleeping/bed-sharing, ethical eating, semi-vegetarian, home-birthing, Pagan, Unitarian Universalist, pro-choice, cloth diapering, Scorpio, feminist, half-Canadian, animal activist mommy to one clever little girl (9), the cutest little boy ever born (2), two mischevious rescue mutts (fixed), and an attention starved rescue kitty (also fixed).  Married to my own personal MacGyver.

Marine. Lawyer. Mommy. Wife. 
Making Sustainability Work in Busy, Everyday Life.
Urban Earthworm

Toxic.Stardust
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mantidae:

Don't worry about it!  "Babyfood" is over-rated, and the whole thing is just a gimmick to sell more product.  Give her what she wants to eat (that is healthy and not a choking hazard, of course).  We barely ever used jarred food.

butterflycircle
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:45 PM

You could try steaming and puree fresh veggies and fruits and see if she will take that. If you think she is ok with out mushing it up you could try steaming (carrots, sweet potatoe....) and cut them into little peices and let ehr go to town : )

Also my son LOVED this little thing that looks like a little net attached to a handle. Idk what it is called but it was in the isle with bottles and sip cups and baby spoons and stuff. I thought it was weird but he loved when I would put fresh fruits in it for him to naw on. 

To this day my son (2 1/2) will not eat canned veggies, only fresh. He didn't mind the jarred foods but we didn't limit him to them at all. 

JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:51 PM

My son is going through the same thing...at least when he is in his high chair! I might just start feeding him in my lap cause he seems to like that.

Toxic.Stardust
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:13 PM
A mesh feeder? We have one of those too

Quoting butterflycircle:

You could try steaming and puree fresh veggies and fruits and see if she will take that. If you think she is ok with out mushing it up you could try steaming (carrots, sweet potatoe....) and cut them into little peices and let ehr go to town : )

Also my son LOVED this little thing that looks like a little net attached to a handle. Idk what it is called but it was in the isle with bottles and sip cups and baby spoons and stuff. I thought it was weird but he loved when I would put fresh fruits in it for him to naw on. 

To this day my son (2 1/2) will not eat canned veggies, only fresh. He didn't mind the jarred foods but we didn't limit him to them at all. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN