Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chipped tooth scraping nipples?

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:02 PM
  • 10 Replies
Hello tonight ladies! So this morning as I was playing with DS on the floor I noticed his left front top tooth is chipped, completely chipped off the corner so there's almost a point now. This AM he fell on the slide at the indoor toddler playplace at the mall, but I didn't notice a chipped tooth anytime last night! Then last night I remember he took a tumble down the bottom step and hit his lip cuz he had a tiny blood mark on his lower lip, but again didnt notice any chipped Tooth! So it could've been either one of these times I guess... But I know there's nothing to do about it because hell lose his baby teeth anyways.

All day today though feeding him has been killing me nipples! Certain positions he lays in while nursing will hurt bad and others won't hurt at all. And this has never been a problem his entire 18 months of life, even as he was getting his teeth and now that he's almost got a full set of teeth it never bothers me. Except when he's purposely bring. So I'm beginning to think the chipped part is scraping my nipple and hurting it bad! What do I do? He's not ready to wean! And If he could get it fixed I'd let him but I kno he can't.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:05 PM
You should get him to a dentist and have it fixed. Even if it'll fall out, it could have an exposed nerve and that'll be painful for him to eat later on.
xxshelbyxxx
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:06 AM
So pediatric dentists will work on baby teeth even if it ends up being strictly cosmetic? Because its killing my nipples and he's nowhere near weaning... I know if I need to I can start obviously but if I don't need to I'd rather not. If the nerve was exposed now would it hurt now or would it not show up Til later

Quoting Mrsfarr:

You should get him to a dentist and have it fixed. Even if it'll fall out, it could have an exposed nerve and that'll be painful for him to eat later on.

Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:17 AM
When I chipped my front teeth, it killed whenever something touched them. Of course, they were adult teeth. But it'll be years before your son loses that tooth, I'm sure they'll do something; I don't think missing half a tooth counts as purely cosmetic.

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

So pediatric dentists will work on baby teeth even if it ends up being strictly cosmetic? Because its killing my nipples and he's nowhere near weaning... I know if I need to I can start obviously but if I don't need to I'd rather not. If the nerve was exposed now would it hurt now or would it not show up Til later

Quoting Mrsfarr:

xxshelbyxxx
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Well it's not half a tooth it's like a small corner of the front upper tooth and so far he isn't acting like anythings bothering him to eat, drink or talk. But I had the same experience you did when I chipped the same exact tooth as my son a few years back and until I got it fixed last year, everything bothered it.. I just didnt know if dentists would repair a chipped baby tooth simply because it hurts the mothers nipples.. Like if they decide its not bothering him at all, will they still feel a need to work on it? That what I'm wondering.

Quoting Mrsfarr:

When I chipped my front teeth, it killed whenever something touched them. Of course, they were adult teeth. But it'll be years before your son loses that tooth, I'm sure they'll do something; I don't think missing half a tooth counts as purely cosmetic.

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:50 AM
I don't see why they wouldn't. Usually dentists will fix anything that shows up on X-ray without hassle. Obviously, a chip would show up.

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Well it's not half a tooth it's like a small corner of the front upper tooth and so far he isn't acting like anythings bothering him to eat, drink or talk. But I had the same experience you did when I chipped the same exact tooth as my son a few years back and until I got it fixed last year, everything bothered it.. I just didnt know if dentists would repair a chipped baby tooth simply because it hurts the mothers nipples.. Like if they decide its not bothering him at all, will they still feel a need to work on it? That what I'm wondering.

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Quoting Mrsfarr:

nermall1102
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Imo i would get him to the dentist asap or on monday first thing. In the mean timr you can ise a nipple shield so that you can nurse pain free and keep him happy, fed and nurished. That way both of you keep from being stressed. Good luck momma.
ajdoma
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

If the chip is small, a dentist should be able to just smooth it out in a few seconds. 

My fourth child had unusually sharp teeth.  The way I usually nursed, her teeth rubbed on one of my Montgomery's glands, and really hurt.  I wonder if that could be why it is bothering you more in some positions than others. Adjusting her position helped a great deal!

xxshelbyxxx
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:56 PM
A few months ago a couple moms on here suggested a nipple shield because DS was biting me out of frustration and I bought them and he wouldn't take a sip with those things blocking my nips! I'm willing to try them again and possibly not even nurse him without them on cuz eventually hell have to give in. But yes Monday AM I'm taking him to the dentist. I'm just a bit worried because he freaks out at any doc appt ever since he had blood taken and the nurses missed his veins over and over.. He gets really nervous and has a tantrum when ppl he doesn't know get that close to him so idk how a dentist is gonna get in his mouth, even with us holding him down its gonna be hard

Quoting nermall1102:

Imo i would get him to the dentist asap or on monday first thing. In the mean timr you can ise a nipple shield so that you can nurse pain free and keep him happy, fed and nurished. That way both of you keep from being stressed. Good luck momma.

xxshelbyxxx
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Yeah that sounds exactly like what's going on with us because some positions, most actually, kill so bad to the point of almost crying , but others are bearable. I'm just worried about trying to hold him down at the dentist appt because he's gonna freak out when he comes near him :/

Quoting ajdoma:

If the chip is small, a dentist should be able to just smooth it out in a few seconds. 

My fourth child had unusually sharp teeth.  The way I usually nursed,
her teeth rubbed on one of my Montgomery's glands, and really hurt.  I wonder if that could be why it is bothering you more in some positions than others.
Adjusting her position helped a great deal!

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

A pediatric dentist should be able to repair it or smooth it out, depending on what is needed. In the meantime, you can experiment with different nursing position to find one that feels the most comfortable. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)