Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Gentian Violet

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:52 AM
  • 5 Replies
My natural attempts to treat thrush have failed so now I'm using gentian violet. Everything I've read says to apply it before bed and let it air out over night.
I still leak randomly tho, and even soak through my nursing pads sometimes so it's sort of necessary for me to make sure I'm covered at night. Will this slow or hamper my healing?

Also, some of what I read says to use only once a day, but some says twice a day. Which would you do? How common is it for baby to get mouth sores from this treatment?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Look up the treatment protocol on kellymom as they source Dr Hale. I remember using it a couple times during the day, painting my own nipples and a quick swab up in baby's gum line/cheek. 3 days of treatment. I'm sure I slept w my bra on and used disposable pads.

I've never myself heard of any baby getting the mouth sores. I'm not saying it can't happen but to answer your question I'd say its very uncommon. Thrush itself can cause mouth sores.
BoxxyBabee
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:09 AM
I just used it one time and it went away. I left it on for a few days
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
outstandingLove
by Cheri on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Look up the treatment protocol on kellymom as they source Dr Hale. I remember using it a couple times during the day, painting my own nipples and a quick swab up in baby's gum line/cheek. 3 days of treatment. I'm sure I slept w my bra on and used disposable pads.

I've never myself heard of any baby getting the mouth sores. I'm not saying it can't happen but to answer your question I'd say its very uncommon. Thrush itself can cause mouth sores.

So it does sound like it is safe enough for me to use twice a day, if i want.

I've tried to find Gentian Violet on kellymom but perhaps i'm too impatient. I will go back and look again.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination. 

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Just look up "thrush" on kellymom. The g.v. info is in that article.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Yes, search "thrush" on kellymom.com. My LC hands out the gv instructions printed straight from kellymom. :-)

Quoting outstandingLove:

Quoting mostlymaydays:

So it does sound like it is safe enough for me to use twice a day, if i want.

I've tried to find Gentian Violet on kellymom but perhaps i'm too impatient. I will go back and look again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)