Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

he's making my nipple flat and it hurts!

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:39 AM
  • 14 Replies
The lc says my 9 day old ds has a really strong suck and he's not getting his tongue far enough forward. I'm using a shield because if i don't, my entire nipple gets covered with scabs and cracks and pours blood. It's excruciating. I can't even getthrough whole nursing session WITH the shield. I have to pump and give it to him via syringe. He eats for 40 minutes at a time and I only have one breast I can use at a time because he destroys them, so by the time one is healed, the other one has to recover.
My supply isn't an issue and his latch looks fine. The lc said he might make am adjustment at about two weeks, and figure it out, but what else can i do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Brugger
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:44 AM

has he been checked for any lip or tongue ties? 

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Flat nipple and tongue not out far enough screams tongue tie to me, has he been checked for one? If he has one it needs to be clipped ASAP, ent can do it, in office.

First_One_8_18
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:00 AM
He's been checked by the lc and the pedi for a tongue tie and he doesn't have one. Sorry, i should have included that.
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Did they check for posterior tt and lip ties too? Those are harder to spot.  If he has and they saw nothing then the latch is NOT good. Is the LCD an I bclc or just a p,ain LCD?  Ill find the kellymom article on spotting tongue ties. 

First_One_8_18
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:15 AM
They looked for a good few minutes and saw nothing. I can ask again at hours appointment on Monday, but everything moves d
Freely. And his latch is fine. I had a lot of problems with dd and i know what a good latch should be. he tucks his lower lip, but i pull it out and adjust it. That's seriously it. I nursed both of my other babies and had latch problems with both and it tool a lot to fix.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Heather, when you run your finger under his tongue, do you feel a bump or a fence of skin at the back?  If so, he probably has a ptt.  If it's just a matter of the lip beign tucked, flipping it out after he latches should fix it.

Are you expressing some milk onto your nipple after the feeding and letting it air dry, then covering it with lanolin?  That should help it to heal up more quickly.  Lubricating your areola with coconut oil when you're pumping should help as well.

First_One_8_18
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Ill check in a minute for the bump, but i had to get prescribed the creams to heal. I use lanolin before i pump, and air dry after every pumping and meal. The pain is unreal. i literally cry and yell when he eats.
I felt a bump under his tongue. Now what do o do to get someone to fix it?

Quoting K8wizzo:

Heather, when you run your finger under his tongue, do you feel a bump or a fence of skin at the back?  If so, he probably has a ptt.  If it's just a matter of the lip beign tucked, flipping it out after he latches should fix it.

Are you expressing some milk onto your nipple after the feeding and letting it air dry, then covering it with lanolin?  That should help it to heal up more quickly.  Lubricating your areola with coconut oil when you're pumping should help as well.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Are you still in TX?  If so, there are a couple of really good ENTs and dentists near you that can take care of it.

Texas

Dallas

Michael J. Biavati, MD (ENT)
8325 Walnut Hill Ln, Ste 100 
Dallas, TX 75231 
(214) 696-8900

Ft. Worth

Stacy Cole, DDS
4812 Bryant Irvin Court
Fort Worth, TX 76107
(817) 731-9291
svcole.com

Keller

Hugh Oser, DDS
1135 Keller Parkway
Keller, TX 76248
(817) 431-5514

wowdentistry.net

Plano

7000 W Plano Pkwy, Ste 225 
Plano, TX 75093 
(214) 696-8900

Quoting First_One_8_18:

Ill check in a minute for the bump, but i had to get prescribed the creams to heal. I use lanolin before i pump, and air dry after every pumping and meal. The pain is unreal. i literally cry and yell when he eats.

Quoting K8wizzo:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:16 AM

If you're not check this list for someone near you.

First_One_8_18
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:06 PM
You're so awesome :) i live on fort sill, ok now, but we're going back home to Chicago on Monday. I really hope i can get some help while we're gone.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Are you still in TX?  If so, there are a couple of really good ENTs and dentists near you that can take care of it.

Texas

Dallas

8325 Walnut Hill Ln, Ste 100 
Dallas, TX 75231 
(214) 696-8900

Ft. Worth

Stacy Cole, DDS
4812 Bryant Irvin Court
Fort Worth, TX 76107
(817) 731-9291
svcole.com

Keller

Hugh Oser, DDS
1135 Keller Parkway
Keller, TX 76248
(817) 431-5514

wowdentistry.net

Plano

7000 W Plano Pkwy, Ste 225 
Plano, TX 75093 
(214) 696-8900

Quoting First_One_8_18:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)