Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Weight gain

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM
  • 13 Replies
Is there any other mums out there who's baby is taking a long time to gain weight?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:25 AM

How old is baby?

Can you give us a full weight history?  Was birth vaginal or c-section?  Did you receive IV fluids? Birthweight? Lowest weight? Any other weights?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Yeah some babies gain slower tha nothers...generally mine dont gain til about a week old...

How old is your LO?

Callum20
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:07 PM
He was born the 20th of Dec at 4370g by c section after 26 hrs of labour. I had 2 epidurals that didn't work and an IV put in. He was breathing fast after he was born so was taken to the nursery for observation. He was given fluids so he didn't get dehidrated and I told them not to give him formula. We left the hospital 4 days later and he weighed 4035g. The lowest he went to was 4000g then slowly started to put on weight. We were at the Dr's Thursday for his 2 month appointment and he now weighs 4900g.

Quoting K8wizzo:

How old is baby?

Can you give us a full weight history?  Was birth vaginal or c-section?  Did you receive IV fluids? Birthweight? Lowest weight? Any other weights?

Callum20
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:09 PM
He is 2 months old.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Yeah some babies gain slower tha nothers...generally mine dont gain til about a week old...

How old is your LO?

melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:44 PM
If my math is correct baby gained 2lbs in about 1.5mo that's more then expected.
Average/expected weight gain is 4oz a week from the lowest weight
Callum20
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM
That's what I though but its the nurses that were following him seem to think its not enough and that hrs not gaining as much as they wanted him to. They have been stressing me out making me feel like I'm a bad mum.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I'm going to convert these numbers to ounces to make the math a bit easier.

birthweight 4370 = 9 lbs, 10.1 oz

discharge 4035 = 8 lbs, 14.3 oz

lowest 4000 = 8 lbs, 13 oz

2 months = 10 lbs, 12.8 oz

His weight is right on target.  We want to see a gain of 4-8 oz (113-226g) per week, or about 1 lb per month.  He has gained 2 lbs from his lowest weight in just under 2 months, which is perfect. :)

Quoting Callum20:

He was born the 20th of Dec at 4370g by c section after 26 hrs of labour. I had 2 epidurals that didn't work and an IV put in. He was breathing fast after he was born so was taken to the nursery for observation. He was given fluids so he didn't get dehidrated and I told them not to give him formula. We left the hospital 4 days later and he weighed 4035g. The lowest he went to was 4000g then slowly started to put on weight. We were at the Dr's Thursday for his 2 month appointment and he now weighs 4900g.

Quoting K8wizzo:

How old is baby?

Callum20
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Thankyou. I don't know why the nurse was trying to stress me out so much and push formula so much. Its a lot to take as a new mum.

Quoting K8wizzo:

His weight is right on target.  We want to see a gain of 4-8 oz (113-226g) per week, or about 1 lb per month.  He has gained 2 lbs from his lowest weight in just under 2 months, which is perfect. :)

Quoting Callum20:

Quoting K8wizzo:

How old is baby?

melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:15 PM

You are doing great mama! And so is he! :)

Stay strong and keep up the great work.

Another thing to consider is whether your really attached to the primary care or if a change to a new provider would be more helpful

Quoting Callum20:

Thankyou. I don't know why the nurse was trying to stress me out so much and push formula so much. Its a lot to take as a new mum.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting Callum20:

Quoting K8wizzo:

How old is baby?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Can you fire the nurse? If baby is not ill, you're getting too much following.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN