Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

A friend needs help ASAP :)

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:59 AM
  • 12 Replies
Hey ladies! So my son is almost 11 months old and has been a breastfeeding champ from day one. My friend just had her second baby this week and came to me for help, but I don't really have suggestions. She only pumped in the hospital
And fed formula bottles because she wasn't too comfortable with the idea of actually breastfeeding but wanted to pump and eventually get her daughter to latch on after she was hoping to get over the uncomforts of it. She has been trying to get the baby to latch on last night/today but is having issues. She said she gets the nipple in her mouth but won't latch. I suggested opening her chin a bit and sliding her nipple/boon in.... But, any other suggestions?? I'm so happy she is trying to breastfeed! I want this to work for her!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mantidae
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I wish I had advice! She should call a La Leche League rep asap!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:05 PM
She can express some milk and baby will smell it and open wide. Did ahe say how baby's latch is when she does get her to latch? I believe there are a few videos on youtube on latching and some pictures on www.kellymom.com as well. Another lifesaving resource is www.llli.org she can look for a la leche league leader in her area and talk or go to a meeting where she will also get lots of suppory, encouragement and ideas.....its free!
court.0125
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Do you know where the pictures are on kellymom? I can never figure the site out! Lol! I only know of it's awesomeness from direct links I have seen in here :)

She did see a LLL person in the hospital, but she said I was more helpful than they were because I guess the lady was a bitch when it came to her just wanting to pump and slowly ease into breastfeeding. Which is ridiculous! I mean, I don't agree with her reasonings, but I still respect them! And she is at least trying to work through her issues with it!!!

Quoting Precious333:

She can express some milk and baby will smell it and open wide. Did ahe say how baby's latch is when she does get her to latch? I believe there are a few videos on youtube on latching and some pictures on www.kellymom.com as well. Another lifesaving resource is www.llli.org she can look for a la leche league leader in her area and talk or go to a meeting where she will also get lots of suppory, encouragement and ideas.....its free!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
court.0125
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Oh, and ill mention the expressing milk! I forgot about that trick!!

Quoting Precious333:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
court.0125
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM
See above comment, but she did see one in the hospital and I guess the lady was a bitch about her pumping :/

Quoting Mantidae:

I wish I had advice! She should call a La Leche League rep asap!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:14 PM
well, she may have been warninf her of ve issues with giving a bottle so early. If she didn like that lll person though, there are other ones she can just call or go to a meeting as well.

For kellymom, you can just search latch, or how to latch, i am mobile so i cant do iy right now.

Quoting court.0125:

Do you know where the pictures are on kellymom? I can never figure the site out! Lol! I only know of it's awesomeness from direct links I have seen in here :)

She did see a LLL person in the hospital, but she said I was more helpful than they were because I guess the lady was a bitch when it came to her just wanting to pump and slowly ease into breastfeeding. Which is ridiculous! I mean, I don't agree with her reasonings, but I still respect them! And she is at least trying to work through her issues with it!!!

Quoting Precious333:

bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Pinch her areola like a sandwich and shove as much as she can in his mouth. That's the only way I can get DS to have a halfway decent latch. And she doesn't have flat or inverted nipples, does she?
court.0125
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, I mentioned it too, but I feel like I must have done it gentle enough for her to listen and not get upset or offended because she has been focussing on latching her on more and actually breastfeeding not using the bottles!

Thanks! Ill see what I can find!

Quoting Precious333:

well, she may have been warninf her of ve issues with giving a bottle so early. If she didn like that lll person though, there are other ones she can just call or go to a meeting as well.

For kellymom, you can just search latch, or how to latch, i am mobile so i cant do iy right now.

Quoting court.0125:

Quoting Precious333:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
court.0125
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:20 PM
nope, not that she has mentioned. Ill ask her again though (I think I already asked, but maybe I forgot haha). She said the baby gets the nipple in her mouth but doesn't suck/latch on.

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

Pinch her areola like a sandwich and shove as much as she can in his mouth. That's the only way I can get DS to have a halfway decent latch. And she doesn't have flat or inverted nipples, does she?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissMia22
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Baby may be having some nipple confusion...i would try a nipple shield then slowly decrease its usage once baby gets used to it...?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)