Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Bad Cough

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:29 PM
  • 5 Replies

A little off topic.......Lil Chunker is 7mos and is EBF!  He has had such a rough winter :(  I feel so bad for him........

How long would you let a congested cough ride?

Lil Chunker has been super congested since last Friday.  Took him to pedi Tuesday b/c boogers were green and cough was getting tight and not as productive.  Pedi said sinus infection and showed me how to properly flush nose.  His nose is now clear and almost booger free.  However, he is STILL congested sounding!  If not worse!  He is still fever-free.  His cough is wet and not barky/tight, but it just doesn't sound 'good'.  (we are very familiar with croup and bronchitis, this is different)  I have his humdifier running non-stop, breathing treatments every 4hrs (since last Saturday), vicks, saline, and vapor bath.  Hubby says to let it ride and give antibiotics more time (he's been on a VERY strong antibiotic since Tuesday, its now Saturday).  He was not given a steroid.  I just don't know what to do or if its okay to have a cough like this for so long.  Thanks for any help!  :)

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

My rule of thumb: If you think you need to call the doc, then you need to call. I'd do that at the least. How long is the course of antibiotics, though? Your husband may be correct.

LHummel
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

If you are questioning it call the doctor. 

rHOPEb
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Its a 10day 2x a day and he started Tuesday.  And like I said his nose has cleared up, but the cough is just so nasty.  And there are times where he seems to struggle to catch his breath (when he wakes from sleep).  Thanks.  Guess I'm just worrying too much.  :/

Quoting gdiamante:

My rule of thumb: If you think you need to call the doc, then you need to call. I'd do that at the least. How long is the course of antibiotics, though? Your husband may be correct.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:36 PM

You're just halfway... it's early yet.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Struggling to catch his breath would concern me.  If it started Tuesday, you're in day 4-5 which are the worst days if it's RSV.  It sounds like your familiar with breathing issues, so I'm going to assume that you know when emergency care is required (retractions, high resp rate, blue lips, dusky coloring, etc).... if it gets there, ER; if not and you feel like a call to the doc is warranted, that's what they're there for.  I'd rather call and not need to than need to and not call.

Quoting rHOPEb:

Its a 10day 2x a day and he started Tuesday.  And like I said his nose has cleared up, but the cough is just so nasty.  And there are times where he seems to struggle to catch his breath (when he wakes from sleep).  Thanks.  Guess I'm just worrying too much.  :/

Quoting gdiamante:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)