Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Time to wean

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:45 PM
  • 49 Replies
1 mom liked this
Dd is 10 months old (tomorrow)
She will be weaned by a year (as close to it as possible - I know a lot of women don't agree but for the sake of a decision I made for myself and t family I just need advice.)

How do I go about it ? I know the drop a feeding a week; but no matter what I do dd2 will not take a bottle at night. But she won't always have to hear to sleep.

I'm at a loss I want my space back and time w dh back.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM
4 moms liked this

Have you looked at the night weaning info on drjaygordon.com? 

Who's trying to offer the nighttime bottle? It cannot be you. You must be gone from her world at that point; dad gets the duty.

And fair warning: 13 years and counting here for "time with dh." Unless you count the time I took him to the ER a few weeks ago. 

aniters
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Like gdiamante said you can't be the one to offer the bottle. Drop one feeding per week.
stacy2607
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Sorry, i cant help you, my DD just turned a yr old on Wednesday..im letting her decide when shes ready to wean.. heres a bump.
aimhawk
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:06 PM

No clue. DS is slowly weaning himself. He turned a year on Jan. 26th.

MamaTwinkleA
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:08 PM
I started by dropping feedings during the day. I weened by 18 months . Starting with am snack then evening snack. After all snacks were gone I did lunch, middle of the night feeding. My last three were am feeding then nap, then bedtime. He took to it well and I had no issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:41 AM
1 mom liked this
wait until one then drop one feed per week. this most likely wont change her neediness, though.
NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:52 AM
I always heard night time was the hardest and should probably start with another feeding 1st but if you want to start with that one I agree with gdiamante. Look at the link she suggested and basically go away at bed time feeding. Even if it means taking that time for your self and going to the gym, store, Starbucks something so that it will be easier for dh to give her the bottle.
Good luck
Mitzi31
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:50 AM

I don't know.... Mine is only 7 months. I'd thought about stopping when she was a yr old too but I don't know now. I figure I'll end up pregnant by the time she's a year old so she'll probably ween herself then. I hope so...

Have you tried giving her a sippy cup instead of a bottle? I've never given dd a bottle and I've gone straight to a sippy cup. She likes it and I like it cause we don't have to do the bottle weening too. We're already going to have nursing and a paci.. I didn't want to add on a bottle, lol.

Good luck! Just don't stop cold turkey. Yuck... I've heard about the problems that can cause!

BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:03 AM
I will check it out thank you so much

I was offering bottle dh is sleeping normally when dd is getting ready for bed but I will try to get her in a different routine and have him offe bottle.
(She takes bottles from me no problem throughout the day no problem)

Quoting gdiamante:

Have you looked at the night weaning info on drjaygordon.com? 

Who's trying to offer the nighttime bottle? It cannot be you. You must be gone from her world at that point; dad gets the duty.

And fair warning: 13 years and counting here for "time with dh." Unless you count the time I took him to the ER a few weeks ago. 

BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:04 AM
I have tried doing the dropping once a week but I don't even know how to destruct her she is so head strong. Lol

She really only nurses when she wakes and before naps and bed. Besides those 3 times she does 2 other times.

Quoting aniters:

Like gdiamante said you can't be the one to offer the bottle. Drop one feeding per week.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN