Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Can I save my supply or is it too late? Please help!

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:21 AM
  • 20 Replies
My baby boy is 10 weeks and I've been back to work for 3 weeks and everything was going great with pumping I was making just over what he would need when I was away from him.

Schedule:
Feed him breast at 6
Drop off to daycare 7:30
First pump 10 was getting about 5oz
Pump at 1 or 2 was getting about 5oz
Pick up at 5:30 and nurse right away.
And then he's nurse on demand between then till 10ish and sleeps threw the night

Everything was going great and somedays is get more and actually have enough to freeze but now I went from getting 5oz or more each time to literally Friday I only got 3 oz the whole day!
I kind of slowed down my calorie intake but I drink close to 140oz of water a day. I tried the tea last week and that didn't help. Im tryin oatmeal this week and thinking I need to up a pump session but idk what else i can do. TMI I al spotting now so idk if I got my period and hormones are stopping the milk but I really don't want this to be the end I'll feel like such a failure.

Btw pump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:44 AM
Your supply may be fine. Response to the pump goes Down with time. Only way to be sure is diaper count.
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:57 AM
What pump? It sounds like to me you need a few more pumping sessions. Add a session every morning (even on days off do this session) then aim for every 2-3 hours at work. No matter what you take to up your supply, if your not pumping enough, it won't help.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like not pumping often enough..four hours between pumpings told your body to make less.

Start pumping every morning..pump at 6, nurse at daycare(get there a few min earlier) and then pump at 10 and 1..two is too late, then pump at 4 also...every three hours not every four.

You may be drinking too much water too..be careful, drink to thirst!
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:49 AM
How much is baby getting at daycare? Also i would pump at 6 when you feed him. Then nurse right when you drop him off. Then every 3 hours after that.... before you get the "full" feeling. That feeling is what tells you to make less. Make sure you still do at least your morning pump on your off days.
MamaScho88
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:54 AM

You should be pumping every 2-3 hours to keep up your supply, even if nothing is coming out your breasts need the stimulation to make your body produce more... make sure you eat enough, it's good to drink plenty of water, but too much water can actually be bad for your supply

masonsmommy921
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:16 AM
My pump is a medela in style. Ya I'm going to try to get a couple more pump sessions in at work. I just hope it hasn't dryed up forever

Quoting shortyali:

What pump? It sounds like to me you need a few more pumping sessions. Add a session every morning (even on days off do this session) then aim for every 2-3 hours at work. No matter what you take to up your supply, if your not pumping enough, it won't help.
masonsmommy921
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM
He usually takes between 10-12 oz from 8-5or6

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

How much is baby getting at daycare? Also i would pump at 6 when you feed him. Then nurse right when you drop him off. Then every 3 hours after that.... before you get the "full" feeling. That feeling is what tells you to make less. Make sure you still do at least your morning pump on your off days.
masonsmommy921
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:19 AM
I never get that full feeling anymore either. Hmmm I didn't know to pump on my off days. Thank you!

Quoting masonsmommy921:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Remember 1-1.25 oz per hour. I would leave 10 ounces. A 2.5 oz bottle at 10. Then 12. Then 2. Then 4. And you'll be there for the next. That would be our schedule just because he won't take a full 3 oz at a time.

Quoting masonsmommy921:

I never get that full feeling anymore either. Hmmm I didn't know to pump on my off days. Thank you!

Quoting masonsmommy921:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

turttlemom
by Nayelli on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:46 AM

You have a pump schedule and baby routine similar to mine, but I pump at 10 and at 3:30 or 4. Sometimes my schedule needs to change due meeting or something but most of the time is those hours. Some days I also get less output than normal, I think it is because I eat less and other times it is because I'm kind of stress out due work or other stuff. But you are OK, I pump for the next day, and save the remainders for the 3rd day, by Friday I put everything on the fridge because baby is with me 24/7 on weekends, but if I need to leave him with dad or grandma, I keep some on the fridge.

You are ok, don't stress out because that affects your supply

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)