Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Right boob sore

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:01 PM
  • 8 Replies

Quick question...my 3 month old is killing my right boob. Is it possible from him pulling back on nipple to "pull a muscle"? It's a shooting pain. Only hurts sometimes when he nurses. I hold his hand so he can't push back.i don't think I have thrush. I have this habit of us going to sleep side nursing... Sometimes with either boob in his mouth.. Can that create thrush? Sometimes my nipple is white for about 30 seconds once he pulls off. If it was a latch problem, wouldn't it be on both boobs? It only hurts during the nursing time..sometimes. 

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Look up the articles on "Thrush" & "Vasospasms" on kellymom.com . See if anything Sounds familiar. Both articles have information on treatment if needed.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Vasospsms
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Yep, white nipples, tell-tale sign.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Vasospsms

ShanaMomOf2
by Shana on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Yep, white nipples, tell-tale sign.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Vasospsms

What I am reading says pain occurs after feeding? It is only during. I do have a fast let down on this boob...maybe he is pulling to slow it down and that is creating the blanching/ or vasospasm? Am I reading this right? Sorry so many questions. 

missyice
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Ive read that vasospasms can cause your let down to be very painful, could that be the pain while baby is nursing? (If its your letdown would only last the first 30 seconds of nursing)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ShanaMomOf2
by Shana on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Quoting missyice:

Ive read that vasospasms can cause your let down to be very painful, could that be the pain while baby is nursing? (If its your letdown would only last the first 30 seconds of nursing)

It's not due to let down. I think the pulling or something about his latch. It is only during feeding. It's definitely a shooting pain. My boob is maybe a tiny bit sensitive to touch. Is it possible for him to latch diff according to side he is feeding on? He never pulls while eating on left boob.

BfeedingBabies
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this

They definitely latch differently on different sides.  Imagine having a drink that comes into your mouth slowly and how you'd use your tongue for that and then having something that pours into your mouth a little too quicly.  You'd be very different with how you're holding your tongue for that.

Also sometimes they're not quite even from side to side themselves.  If they've got a mild flat spot that can mean their jaw is tight on one side and not the other so they latch differently on each side and use their tongue differently too.

The blanching certainly souds like he's clamping down a bit.  Have you tried a more gravity assisted position like leaning back (biological nursing) or lying on your back.  That can slow down the flow for him which might change how he attaches.

Sometimes they can have irritated the nerves in your breast too which settle over time once they stop hurting you by improving their latch.  If you think it's definitely not thrush or vasospasm I'd try videoing his latch when it hurts and seeing a lactation consultant if you can't get it to settle (the video means that they can see what was happening when it hurt just in case it doesn't while you'rein with them)

Hope this helps :)

ShanaMomOf2
by Shana on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Quoting BfeedingBabies:

They definitely latch differently on different sides.  Imagine having a drink that comes into your mouth slowly and how you'd use your tongue for that and then having something that pours into your mouth a little too quicly.  You'd be very different with how you're holding your tongue for that.

Also sometimes they're not quite even from side to side themselves.  If they've got a mild flat spot that can mean their jaw is tight on one side and not the other so they latch differently on each side and use their tongue differently too.

The blanching certainly souds like he's clamping down a bit.  Have you tried a more gravity assisted position like leaning back (biological nursing) or lying on your back.  That can slow down the flow for him which might change how he attaches.

Sometimes they can have irritated the nerves in your breast too which settle over time once they stop hurting you by improving their latch.  If you think it's definitely not thrush or vasospasm I'd try videoing his latch when it hurts and seeing a lactation consultant if you can't get it to settle (the video means that they can see what was happening when it hurt just in case it doesn't while you'rein with them)

Hope this helps :)

Irritated nerves sounds on point with what it feels like! Just didn't know if that was possible or not.i will try the diff positions and see if those make a difference! Thank all of you for your help(:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)