Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Refusing solids and one OT question

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:30 PM
  • 11 Replies

My daughter is almost 11 months and recently during a trip to grandmas (we were gone 3 weeks including 1 week of train travel combined--there and back) she's started to refuse almost all solids including some of her favorites except for yogurt and ice cream (yes I know ice cream is bed I only give her tiny tastes and prefer healtier options like greek yogurt).

Also has anyone else taken baby for a trip and had them panic at changes to the house when they got back? She's started a new phase of panicking (severely shaking while crying) at random things.

ETA: She is teething (getting her fourth top tooth and possibly some bottom ones), has just started walking, and just learned to stand herself up without help last night.

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sissy852
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:32 PM
I dont know but here is a bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM
My 8 month old has been refusing solids too. Even his favorites. He gagged earlier when i gave him a taste of my lunch which usually he is begging for more. No clue about the fits
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Susan0805
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Stress can cause regression, yes. Breastfeeding is nutrition AND comfort so it makes since that she would prefer to nurse when stressed. I dont know about the panic episodes, I think I would have my child be checked out by their pediatrician, if it were me. I would continue to try solids like veggies and applesause. Does she like bananas? Try soft fruits and veggies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Typical breastfed baby refusing solids! Don't stress, solids are just for practice right now. Just keep offering foods to her (always after a full nursing session until a year old) and respect her right to refusal :) My dd wouldn't hardly eat any solids until sometime after a year. Her new phase of panicking over change is also very typical for her age.

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:54 PM
I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep nursing on demand and offering the solids you normally would. Don't force it. :)

And you may be surprised to find out that some ice cream brands (full fat haagen dazs) are quite similar to breast milk. ;) so it's not all that bad.

http://nourishedandnurtured.blogspot.com/2012/01/could-ice-cream-be-superfood.html?m=1
MonicaV1982
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I didn't know that! I was worried that I'd get lectured for giving her tastes of ice cream.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep nursing on demand and offering the solids you normally would. Don't force it. :)

And you may be surprised to find out that some ice cream brands (full fat haagen dazs) are quite similar to breast milk. ;) so it's not all that bad.

http://nourishedandnurtured.blogspot.com/2012/01/could-ice-cream-be-superfood.html?m=1

MonicaV1982
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks. I know that but it's just weird. She thinks its a toy to throw off her high chair. She learned the art of feeding the dogs at grandmas.

Quoting stepconfused182:

Typical breastfed baby refusing solids! Don't stress, solids are just for practice right now. Just keep offering foods to her (always after a full nursing session until a year old) and respect her right to refusal :) My dd wouldn't hardly eat any solids until sometime after a year. Her new phase of panicking over change is also very typical for her age.

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:19 PM
It's definitely not something you'd want to use in place of other foods, but it can be a healthy treat. And we all love a little ice cream every so often. :)
I'll be honest, when I first looked at the comparison I went out and got some. You'll want to stick to Breyers or Haagen Dazs. Ya know, the higher fat, higher quality ones with the least ingredients.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

I didn't know that! I was worried that I'd get lectured for giving her tastes of ice cream.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

MonicaV1982
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Definitely. DH came up with a trick of eating the ice cream and giving her a taste from the empty spoon, but she's starting to figure that out. LOL!

Quoting MaryJarrett:

It's definitely not something you'd want to use in place of other foods, but it can be a healthy treat. And we all love a little ice cream every so often. :)
I'll be honest, when I first looked at the comparison I went out and got some. You'll want to stick to Breyers or Haagen Dazs. Ya know, the higher fat, higher quality ones with the least ingredients.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Quoting MaryJarrett:

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:27 PM
All normal. Have you been spoon feeding her, or does she eat small soft pieces of food by herself? Look up "baby-led solids" on kellymom.com--lots of good information there. She's also hitting lots of milestones as she nears her first birthday. The refusal of solids and extra nursing is how she is coping. She will return to eating solids. Just go with the flow and it will sort itself out. My son did this same thing at that age.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN