Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

frothy poop

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:49 PM
  • 9 Replies
My EBF 3 month old has had green watery bubbly poop for the past week. I read that it could be from over supply foremilk/hindmilk imbalance or maybe something I'm eating is bothering him. Idk whats going on. I feed him on demand and stick to one side per feeding. He usually nurses for at least 15 minutes at a time. I haven't switched up my diet at all. Does anyone have any advice? He don't act like his tummys bothering him but I just nursed him for ten minutes, he immediately spit up what seemed like everything he just ate and then had a giant foamy poop.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:33 PM
He could have a stomach virus, too. 5 of 6 people on my house have it now. :-(
gabriellasmomma
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Yuck, that must be awful!
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:07 AM
In the absence of other symptoms, like pain or blood or projectile vomiting, I wouldn't worry. You're doing the very best thing by continuing to nurse him. There is nothing better you can do to soothe and heal his gut. Isn't it funny how we've become poop inspectors and detectives?!
mammaX4me
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:34 PM

you may try getting him to nurse for at least 20 minutes on each breast, they say that they get best foremilk/hindmilk balance by nursing at least 20 minutes so 15 minutes he may not be getting enough hindmilk. I'm not 100% sure but if I remember right that's what the standard is for his age. if he chooses to only nurse for 15 minutes at a time then next time he nurses let him nurse for 5 minutes on the breast from the last feeding then 10 at the other that way you can make sure he's getting a good balance by emptying one breast before moving to the next and that way your milk supply will be even for each breast also because he'll be nursing just as much from one as the other. hope that helps

NollynsMommy14
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:40 PM

This is exactly what Happened to ds2. I would research block feeding! It corrected it in just 2 days.

i can almost promise you this is a formilk/hindmilk imbalance!

NollynsMommy14
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:44 PM

What I did was pump one side and drain it completely, and my ds2 would nurse in the otherside for 4 hours. Than you would switch, drain the other side an nurse the other side for 4 hours. 

Than you would block feed at 6 hour intervals. I didn't go past 6 bc It was already starting to work, if you have time and don't want to block feed you can pump, than when you feel your "let down" pump a few min past that, than allow your baby to latch, this will make sure your baby is getting the hindmilk, but this isn't going to fix the problem long term. I only found block feeding to fix it. 

What it did was slowed my milk production just a little, because I was producing WAY too much foremilk, that he was unable to get to the hindmilk. His poop was very loud and frothy green, it gave him a little rash, and I did notice a little blood once, that's when I freaked out. I was at my dads farm so I just did some research, after I block fed, within the 2 days he wasn't spitting up, his poop was back to mustard, his tiny rash was gone. And he wasn't fussy from gas :) 

inspain
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Not enough hindmilk.

gabriellasmomma
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:56 AM
I think I worded that wrong, he almost always nurses 20-30 minutes never less than 15. I'm going to try block feeding and hopefully it will help. I'm pretty positive thats what's going on. Thank you ladies!!!
aimhawk
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:57 AM

My DD had those issues when I was nursing her, I was doing one side for at least 15.

Now here I am with my 2nd and most sucessful nurser. He nurses on one side for as long as he wants, then we burp and go to the other breast. When he is done and time to nurse again we start with the breast we finished on. We've been doing this since birth and he was 13 months yesterday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN