Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

when should i stop waking my baby to feed?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:10 PM
  • 18 Replies

mi just had my son 12 days ago and so far i've gotten a lot of mixed responses for when to stop waking to feed. when i was in the hospital/ my understanding was just the first week, but my son doesn't seem to wake up on his own yet. i also heard that it's never necessary to wake to feed and i heard nce the baby reaches their birth weight again (my son was back up to his birth weight after 4 days) should i just call the pediatrician and ask or wait until his next appointment when he's a month old and ask then? when did you stop waking to feed?

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsNiko88
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Is he jaundiced at all? If not and he dies not have any weight issues let him set the schedule and nurse on demand. If he goes more than 4 hours wo eating I would wake him up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:19 PM
I followed those directions with DD for about 2 days. Lol With ds I never wake him to eat. The longest he sleeps is 3 hrs anyway..
CatFishMom
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:23 PM

It's not necessary at all in my opinion-not unless they go past like, five or six hours. The morons in the hospital insisted on trying to wake my newborn to eat every three or so hours and it was completely useless. It took forever to wake him, he'd finally latch and nurse maybe five minutes before going to back to sleep. I learned quickly not to waste my time or his-he woke usually within five hours (he was a BIG sleeper until he was almost one) and as long as he woke within that time, I was comfortable.

hreynol25
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:26 PM
After the first month I stopped waking him up. If he was hungry he would let me know lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:29 PM

It sounds like ya'll are doing well. I just wouldnt let him go over 4 hours...  Congrats on your new Baby!!!

TTC2Long
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:32 PM
It's only necessary in cases of slow weight gain (not an issue for you!) or jaundice. Is that an issue? If not, let him sleep and enjoy! :)
Zazayam
by Nicki on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Congrats on the new baby!

I never woke mine to eat, they were never shy about letting me know when they were hungry. Probably different if he's jaundiced or something though. If he's sleeping a REALLY long time through the day I'd probably wake him up after 5 or 6 hrs, but at night I'd let him be.

christineT79
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I never woke my baby to eat. She wouldn't ever go more than 3 to 4 hours inbetween. If I did wake her she would just fall right back to sleep while nursing so there was no point.

sissy852
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:49 PM
i dont wake my ds up at all. He is 2 mo and i never have woke him up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellaaax3
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:56 PM

no, jaundice isn't an issue. he sleeps pretty much the same though from when he was born. sometimes during the day he'll wake up on his own, but not usually. he can go 4 or more hours without eating. the first night in the hospital, the nurses didn't bring him to me after a few hours and he ended up sleeping for 7 hours without eating until i woke him up to eat him. he just sleeps through everything. i don't know if that's good or bad.

Quoting TTC2Long:

It's only necessary in cases of slow weight gain (not an issue for you!) or jaundice. Is that an issue? If not, let him sleep and enjoy! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN