Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My Ob told me to wean

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:18 PM
  • 29 Replies
....because she tells all her pregnant patients to wean in the 2nd trimester. Why? Because she's afraid of contractions & preterm labor in the 3rd trimester.

Me: I've looked at Kellymom.com, which has recent research saying its safe to nurse through pregnancy, barring any complications
Her: I don't think it's safe for c-section patients.
Me: I didn't read anything different about having a previous c-section.
Her: (info about over sensitive nipples & nipple stimulation causing contractions in 3rd trimester)
Me: on Kellymom, it talks about how they've found that isn't true for moms who continue to nurse
Her: (concerned about contractions again)
Me: well, I had Braxton hicks throughout my first pregnancy, so I'm expecting those with this one too....

Then she mentions she hasn't had very many patients who have nursed through so she doesn't have a lot of experience with it.

I told her I hang out with a few moms at LLL who have & they were fine,

She also expressed concern about nursing 2 kids at once. Intold her ill be able to handle that, no worries there.

*sigh*
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Allie_kat1
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I've nursed through 2 pregnancies. One was born at 42.4 weeks, the other at 37. And am now nursing 3 kids. Unless you start having issues, or have history of preterm labor, i would say your ob is an idiot!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Have you ever had premature labor/birth?
Is she concerned about you having an orgasm during the 2nd & 3rd trimester? more oxytocin is released during orgasm than during nursing. If not, then I wouldn't put too much into her knowing what's up. :) Keep on keeping on mama! 

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:26 PM
No premature labor.

However, I'm one of those 'always sick, always something small & random wrong with me' (like I've had 3 stomach bugs this pregnancy & it's only been 15 weeks!), have asthma & allergies, etc

She has a huge oversupply (we talk about nursing a bunch) & weans her kids at 6 months.....she weaned her first so she could get pregnant, and now pumps 8-10 oz per session while at work! But she doesn't see it as an oversupply - she's like 'yeah, I just have a lot of milk'

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Is she concerned about you having an orgasm during the 2nd & 3rd trimester? more oxytocin is released during orgasm than during nursing. If not, then I wouldn't put too much into her knowing what's up. :) Keep on keeping on mama! 

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:29 PM
2 moms liked this
Oy... you need a new ob
m0mmy0f-thr33
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:34 PM
I breast fed through my whole pregnancy, HOWEVER, it is a pain now! Lol. It seems like all I do is breast feed all day! My older boy totally freaks if I don't feed his at the same time as his brother so I feed both at the same time and man can it be hard at times!
BlessedMammaof2
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:42 PM
I'm glad you knew better. Sounds like she told you that simply because that's what she's been told. It was clear she lacked any evidence to support her conclusions.

I'm 28 weeks and my nursling will be 2 on March 25. I haven't had any issues. Thankfully my Midwide is very supportive of nursing throughout my pregnancy.
mama91605
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:48 PM
I nursed dd2 all through my pregnancy with my youngest and both for 13 months. I am still nursing my youngest who turned 2 in Nov and found out I am pg yesterday. I have no plan to wean any time soon.
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:57 PM
You're good to go. If you want you can print her out the studies. Maybe make a difference, maybe not.

I always get utis, yeast infections, and pink eye during pregnancy. It's just *my* symptoms.

She's got a heck of an oversupply! 0.0

Quoting collinsmommy0:

No premature labor.

However, I'm one of those 'always sick, always something small & random wrong with me' (like I've had 3 stomach bugs this pregnancy & it's only been 15 weeks!), have asthma & allergies, etc

She has a huge oversupply (we talk about nursing a bunch) & weans her kids at 6 months.....she weaned her first so she could get pregnant, and now pumps 8-10 oz per session while at work! But she doesn't see it as an oversupply - she's like 'yeah, I just have a lot of milk'

Quoting MaryJarrett:

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Oy.  Mine just said watch for spotting and make sure to eat and drink enough because I lose ten pounds in the first tri.  Doctors can be silly.

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Oh man...show her that it works so she can start giving her patients good information!  LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)