Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

too much?

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM
  • 7 Replies
Ds only nurses from 1 side per feeding. If he's there 20 minutes and I can pump 4 1/2 oz in that time, os a 3 weeker getting too much?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Zazayam
by Nicki on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I don't think you can really overfeed a bf baby, someone with more info then me will probably come around and answer that part.

I DO know that what you're pumping and what he's getting aren't usually the same at all.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think there is any correlation between how much baby eats or pump output. And a 3 week old is not very efficient at the breast yet. And no you cannot over feed a baby at the breast.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Your baby probably isn't drinking all if the milk you have in there if you can pump that much. They don't drink the entire time they nurse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope. Not getting too much. They change the suckle to pacify as well as to feed. Leave things be; you're perfect.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Your baby controls the flow, your pump doesnt...baby doesnt take as much and overtime supply will back off.  Baby gets just what he needs

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:24 PM

No worries. BUT, if you are pumping in addition to EBF then you will create an oversupply of milk that can cause problems. Just nurse and your supply will regulate to meet his needs perfectly :-)

FarmGirl2B
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM
I only pumped today because he's sleeping more than usual, and I couldn't stand the pain anymore. It's been a few days since I've pumped.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

No worries. BUT, if you are pumping in addition to EBF then you will create an oversupply of milk that can cause problems. Just nurse and your supply will regulate to meet his needs perfectly :-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)