Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Playtex pump?

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:11 PM
  • 19 Replies
I'm going to buy a double electric pump tomorrow but wanted to know if playtex is any good and is it as good as Medela?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Um...no.  The only pumps at the level of the Medela are the Ameda Purely Yours and Hygeia Enjoye.  The reality is that the Medela would be my least favorite of the 3 as it is the ONLY one that is an OPEN system.  The open system can allow, doesn't mean it will allow, milk to flow into the motor.  The Ameda and Hygeia are closed systems and milk CANNOT flow to the motor.  These pumps are all about the same price though the Ameda can be purchased pretty cheaply if you get just the pump and skip the bag.  Medela is also the only one that is not compliant with the World Health Organizations rules on breastfeeding support and marketing of bottles and formula...for that reason alone I don't support the company.

I wouldn't even consider the Playtex.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Playtex is one of our pumps to avoid.

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:58 PM
I use it and its been great. But I only used it 2-3 days a week. I don't know about 5 day work weeks.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Playtex is not worth the money

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:20 PM

For double electric pumps your best bets are:

Ameda Purely Yours

Hygeia Enjoye

Both of those are better than the Medela because they are "closed systems" meaning the pump motor cannot get contaminated with milk. They cost less than Medela too! Problem? You probably won't find them on the shelf at Target or Baby's R Us, but you can find them on-line or at specialty stores (try  amazon.com)

Medela Pump in Style is still WAY better than Playtex (other ones to avoid are ones made by compaines that make bottles like First Years, Tommee TIppee etc.)

goodmama85
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Cool thanks.i just can't shell out 200 to 800 dollars for one that's almost my rent lol.

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

I use it and its been great. But I only used it 2-3 days a week. I don't know about 5 day work weeks.
goodmama85
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:29 PM
How much do they go for?

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Ameda Purely Yours

Hygeia Enjoye

Both of those are better than the Medela because they are "closed systems" meaning the pump motor cannot get contaminated with milk. They cost less than Medela too! Problem? You probably won't find them on the shelf at Target or Baby's R Us, but you can find them on-line or at specialty stores (try  amazon.com)

Medela Pump in Style is still WAY better than Playtex (other ones to avoid are ones made by compaines that make bottles like First Years, Tommee TIppee etc.)

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Ameda Purely yours is around $150. I've seen the Hygeia Enjoye on amazon for as low as $189 (when you get it without the matching tote bag)

Quoting goodmama85:

How much do they go for?

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Ameda Purely Yours

Hygeia Enjoye

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:14 PM

very interesting! what would you recommend?

Quoting IrishIz:

Um...no.  The only pumps at the level of the Medela are the Ameda Purely Yours and Hygeia Enjoye.  The reality is that the Medela would be my least favorite of the 3 as it is the ONLY one that is an OPEN system.  The open system can allow, doesn't mean it will allow, milk to flow into the motor.  The Ameda and Hygeia are closed systems and milk CANNOT flow to the motor.  These pumps are all about the same price though the Ameda can be purchased pretty cheaply if you get just the pump and skip the bag.  Medela is also the only one that is not compliant with the World Health Organizations rules on breastfeeding support and marketing of bottles and formula...for that reason alone I don't support the company.

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

At that pump level...either the Ameda or Hygeia.  The Ameda can be done pretty "cheap" compared to others because you can get just the pump and skip the bag...more economical.  Some people also feel they can get parts easier for the Ameda.  The Hygeia is the same level pump.  It is a closed system and a good pump.  Either one would be great.

I would avoid the Medela becaues of the closed system and their inability to follow some simple rules in place to promote and support breastfeeding.

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

very interesting! what would you recommend?

Quoting IrishIz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN