Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

pumping.

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:48 PM
  • 8 Replies
I have surgery thursday and they are going to do it out paitent.i bought a pump and i am trying to pump enough for him while i am gone.im only getting about an oz at a time.how much will he need i will be gone from 6 am until about 4(thats what they said at least) do i have to use a different bag to freeze each time i pump?it kinda seems like a waste of money to do that(yes i am cheap).anyone have any advice?oh and he is 6 weeks(well will be thursday
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:01 PM

One ounce per hour you're gone. Your pump output is fine.

Cool the milk to the same temp then combine... do NOT put fresh milk onto cooled milk.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Cool the milk to the same temp then combine... do NOT put fresh milk onto cooled milk.

^^That!

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:40 PM
I've also heard of women using regular freezer bags as a cheaper option. And hospitals are slow at the discharge process so i would pump 1 extra bottle but leave it frozen.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BoxxyBabee
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Why?

Quoting gdiamante:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Quoting BoxxyBabee:

Why?

Quoting gdiamante:

Why one ounce per hour?

How much milk will my baby need while I’m away?

Breastfed babies need, on average, 24 to 32 ounces of milk per day (Kent et al., 2006). If you spread that amount over a full day it equals 1-1.25 ounces per hour. With that information in mind, plan on leaving about 1-1.25 ounces of milk for each hour of separation. Most breastfed babies need no more than 2-4 ounces at each feeding (Kent et al., 2006). Breastfed babies need less milk than formula-fed babies do, and unlike with formula, the amount of breastmilk your baby needs does not increase as he grows bigger. When you return to work, your baby will need only a portion of this daily amount of milk from the care provider, because he will still be getting much of it by breastfeeding during the hours of the day and night when you are together.

Why cool the milk before adding it? If you pour warm milk onto frozen milk you will thaw it, and it is not good to thaw and refreeze milk.

Zazayam
by Nicki on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Any type of zip-lock bags work just as well and are much cheaper then milk storage bags.

I'd just pump up as much as you can between now and then, better to have too much then not enough.

GL with your surgery, hope you have a speedy recovery :)

merinasmommy
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:04 PM
thank you.

Quoting Zazayam:

Any type of zip-lock bags work just as well and are much cheaper then milk storage bags.

I'd just pump up as much as you can between now and then, better to have too much then not enough.

GL with your surgery, hope you have a speedy recovery :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:47 AM
I personally would even bother freezing if surgery is Thursday. I would just store in the bottles in the fridge. If you are going to use a ziploc bag, freeze the bm into ice cues first then store in the bag. Even the ziploc bags meant for freezing let air in and leach a plastic smell into the food.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN