Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I need the experts! Pumping for a premie! **small update**

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:13 AM
  • 38 Replies
My SIL gave birth to my nephew last night at 28 weeks pregnant. He has some issues with fluid around his lungs and in his abdomen, but is doing well this morning and is in stable condition. SIL really wants to breastfeed, so she has to start pumping since there's no way he can latch. Give me all you got about pumping for premies! :)

**Update**
Thank you all for your help and suggestions and great tips! I've relayed all of them to her! She's been pumping around the clock since 6am yesterday and is a bit discouraged that she hasn't gotten anything out, just some "moisture and condensation" as she described it. The LC's are working with her and all assure her it's normal right now, and from some articles on Kellymom I've read that in situations where mom was on bedrest, meds for high bp, had a csection, and has a premie (which all happened to her) it's normal for the first couple of weeks to barely get anything. I sent her instructions on how to hand express and told her to spend as much time with the baby as possible. Now that she's off the magnesium drip (which was making her sick) she'll he able to do that. The really good news is that baby is doing well and all the doctors and nurses told her that NICU babies DO NOT receive formula. Mama's milk or donor milk (which is provided by the hospital) only! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Brugger
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:14 AM

bump!

Good luck to your SIL and her new little one! 

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Thank you!! :) :)

Quoting Mrs.Brugger:

bump!

Good luck to your SIL and her new little one! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:17 AM

She MUST watch this video!! It is all about pumping to bring in a milk supply for a baby in the NICU, tons of great info!

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:26 AM
In this situation it would probably be best if she could rent a hospital grade pump. If she can't, get a double electric double pump and pump 15-20 minutes every 2 hours during the day and 3 at night. Tell her do not listen to the doctors that say he needs the high calorie formula! In a few days they'll likely insert a feeding tube and feed him through that for a couple of weeks which will give her time to discuss syringe or cup feeding for when the time comes. Tell her to get a stuffed animal and sleep with it today... she can leave it in baby's incubator so he'll smell her scent.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Ooohh and tell her to keep a picture of her baby to look at while she pumps. It helps with output since she can't be near him every time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Excellent! I was hoping you'd pop in here!! Thank you!!! :)

Quoting maggiemom2000:

She MUST watch this video!! It is all about pumping to bring in a milk supply for a baby in the NICU, tons of great info!

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Thank you!! I'm pretty sure they're providing her with a pump. I'll give her all your tips!! :)

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

In this situation it would probably be best if she could rent a hospital grade pump. If she can't, get a double electric double pump and pump 15-20 minutes every 2 hours during the day and 3 at night. Tell her do not listen to the doctors that say he needs the high calorie formula! In a few days they'll likely insert a feeding tube and feed him through that for a couple of weeks which will give her time to discuss syringe or cup feeding for when the time comes. Tell her to get a stuffed animal and sleep with it today... she can leave it in baby's incubator so he'll smell her scent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Tell her to set a timer..every 2 hours is the key right now...at night she can go 3 hours but she MUST pump often.  Its basically to trick the body into thinking its the baby.  If she can get them to swab babies mouth and use that swab directly on her nipples it will help the milk meet babies needs more directly.

OH mention to her that human milk fortifier has not been shown to increase the health of preemies..weight by a bit but not overall health and it increases the risk of SIDS and NEC.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM
I was wondering about the fortifier! Thanks Tabi!! I'll relay all of that! :)
Oh and I forgot to ask in my OP, is the milk safe while she's on a magnesium drip for her bp? Her bp is high even when not pregnant, but it got really bad right before they took him, so she's on a 24hr drip that started last night.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Tell her to set a timer..every 2 hours is the key right now...at night she can go 3 hours but she MUST pump often.  Its basically to trick the body into thinking its the baby.  If she can get them to swab babies mouth and use that swab directly on her nipples it will help the milk meet babies needs more directly.

OH mention to her that human milk fortifier has not been shown to increase the health of preemies..weight by a bit but not overall health and it increases the risk of SIDS and NEC.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
esbucksix
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I had the same problem right before I had my twins, and even after, granted I was 33 1/2 weeks with them, but I still pumped for them.....it can be done!!!!! feel  free to give her my name and if you want my number PM I will share it I have been in the NICU and know what it is like......16 years ago almost to the day mater fact the 5th of march my boys were born :)

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

I was wondering about the fortifier! Thanks Tabi!! I'll relay all of that! :)
Oh and I forgot to ask in my OP, is the milk safe while she's on a magnesium drip for her bp? Her bp is high even when not pregnant, but it got really bad right before they took him, so she's on a 24hr drip that started last night.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)