Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Most insurances pay for breast pumps now

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM
  • 27 Replies

Because of the new health care act, many insurances are covering breast pumps when purchased at a medical supply place. Most are covering them 100% and with no co-pays. I ordered one through Direct Healthcare Supply (888-344-3434) and they can ship to all states and bill most major insurance plans after verification. They have a few different brands of double electric pumps and will be getting the Medela ones in next month. I ordered the Hygeia one. FYI.

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlwaysKISA
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Do they cover hospital grade ones? Or just regular ones?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chillisarah
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Quoting AlwaysKISA:

Do they cover hospital grade ones? Or just regular ones?

Yes, I believe they do. I think they said my Hygeia one was hospital grade- I'm not sure though. I got the Hygeia Q.

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Not all insurances will do this, unfortunately. If your insurance was grandfathered in, they won't pay for it. Also military insurance is another exception.
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:51 AM
They actually have until Jan 2014 to give you a hard time about it. My DS2's Ped actually wrote a letter for me telling my ins that its medically necessary for me to have one so they will cover it now instead if waiting. My DH works for the American Indians and because they are a sovereign nation, they are trying tiger out of having to comply with that act. :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ALXtheg8
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Bump to check.
keisha613
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:56 AM
True, but mine didn't when I needed it. My youngest is 16 months now. She went on a nursing strike when she was 3 months. I needed a pump to keep up supply until she decided to nurse again. Hand expression wasn't enough. Insuance company told me they won'yt start covering them for another 9 months or so. Doctor diagnosed DD with failure to thrive because she was back at birth weight at 4 months old. He wrote the insurance company basically saying DD would die if I didn't get a breast pump. They still denied to cover it. I ended up joining wic and going through the channels to get one, but by then it was too late. I had started my period and my supply was nil. In the mean time doctor demanded that I giver her preimee formula or he would report I was staving her. I'm sick of all these breastfeeding posts. Sometimes it just doesn't f'ing work! I tried. Search "tovah" in the breastfeeding group here.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM
I dont think my insurance does, I think they are grandfatehred in..we shall see when I ask
Chillisarah
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Quoting Junebaby18:

Not all insurances will do this, unfortunately. If your insurance was grandfathered in, they won't pay for it. Also military insurance is another exception.

I know. And some insurances only cover certain brands too. Also I heard that certain insurances only cover a manual one and not the double electric...

Firenygirl180
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Df is supposed to call our insurance this week to see if they will cover one. I used a manual pump with ds but if insurance will give us an electric for little our no cost to us we will get one. If i don't use it i can always sell it.
I had wic with ds so my manual pump was free. They gave me an electric to try but it was old and took 45 minutes to get a few drops out. The manual pump i had 5 oz in 5 minutes
mrsbrand
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM
4 moms liked this
If the breastfeeding posts are bothering you or upsetting you, you may want to avoid this group. This is the place for these kinds of posts.

Quoting keisha613:

True, but mine didn't when I needed it. My youngest is 16 months now. She went on a nursing strike when she was 3 months. I needed a pump to keep up supply until she decided to nurse again. Hand expression wasn't enough. Insuance company told me they won'yt start covering them for another 9 months or so. Doctor diagnosed DD with failure to thrive because she was back at birth weight at 4 months old. He wrote the insurance company basically saying DD would die if I didn't get a breast pump. They still denied to cover it. I ended up joining wic and going through the channels to get one, but by then it was too late. I had started my period and my supply was nil. In the mean time doctor demanded that I giver her preimee formula or he would report I was staving her. I'm sick of all these breastfeeding posts. Sometimes it just doesn't f'ing work! I tried. Search "tovah" in the breastfeeding group here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)