Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Donating milk

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:45 AM
  • 36 Replies
3 moms liked this
I'm thinking about donating breastmilk but not sure how the process works. Do people donate while they are breastfeeding or after their baby weaned?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM
3 moms liked this
How ever you want. I go to human milk 4 human babies on Facebook and post that I have X amt of ozs I want to donate and then someone who needs it contacts you back. I'm actually donating around 300ozs next Friday to a mom of twins who has IGUR(sp?). Her sister is picking it up Friday night and taking it to her. My baby is only 3 months but I need the space in my freezer.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

People donate while they are breastfeeding, once baby weans basically your milk dries up because weaning is a gradual thing.

I used milkshare.forummotion, eats on feets and humna milk 4 human babies for my states to donate to 3 different babies.

SadieJames
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I found my recipient through human milk 4 human babies.  She's inducing lactation for an adopted baby but needed some milk to supplement.

Zazayam
by Nicki on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I did not know this was a thing, that's so cool. It makes sense now that I hear it, but I've just never thought about it I guess.

You ladies are great, I'm sure that made such a difference to people.

MalakbelLacuna
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I have thought about doing this. but I havent decided yet though

shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm all about paying it forward. I told DH that if something should ever happen to me and I couldn't nurse my baby, or I wasn't there to nurse (knock on wood that never happens) I would want him to look into donor milk. I've even gone as far as showing him in here how to make a post asking for help if ever needed because I know you ladies on here would help point him where he needed to go. ;)

Quoting Zazayam:

I did not know this was a thing, that's so cool. It makes sense now that I hear it, but I've just never thought about it I guess.

You ladies are great, I'm sure that made such a difference to people.

kellymom127
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:22 PM

eats on feet on facebook or human milk 4 human babies is who I donated to

Chillisarah
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Good advice on this post. I plan to start donating soon too!

lulu_tattoos
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I want to know more. I'm pumping here and there to store, just because I can and I get good output. Maybe every other day or so. I feel like right now I could pump about 8 oz a day with no problem if I wanted to. But will that really mess with my supply if I start doing that?
Do I need to pump more if I want to donate?
How do I store and ship it? Is the cost for that high? Is it okay to ask for partial shipping costs from the person I donate to so that its more feasible for me to donate?

Aren't there companies that take donations and pasteurize so that its more "safe"?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:29 PM
There are milk banks that do that but they sell it for an outrageous price. Usually $2-$5 an oz.

Quoting lulu_tattoos:

I want to know more. I'm pumping here and there to store, just because I can and I get good output. Maybe every other day or so. I feel like right now I could pump about 8 oz a day with no problem if I wanted to. But will that really mess with my supply if I start doing that?

Do I need to pump more if I want to donate?

How do I store and ship it? Is the cost for that high? Is it okay to ask for partial shipping costs from the person I donate to so that its more feasible for me to donate?

Aren't there companies that take donations and pasteurize so that its more "safe"?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN