Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

how do you deal with an infection/pluuged ducts/whatever it is?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM
  • 5 Replies

So on Monday one of my breasts was starting to get pretty hard, when I pumped not as much came out and I couldn't massage out the hard parts.. by the end of the day I was in lots of pain and it was totally engorged and I was feeling sick to my stomach bc of the pain. I took a hot shower & used a warm compress and nursed and it got less engorged but still like some spots were blocked. Yesterday My son would nurse on it OK and it wouldn't get as enroged but it was red and painful, still some hard spots. Now it's pretty much the same but not red.. some hard spots but a lot more squishy. Anyone else ever dealt with this? Does it usually go away on its own or have you had to take antibiotics?

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM
I would say if you're still feeling sick to check with the doctor for antibiotics. Look at the kellymom.com article on mastitis and see if anything there Sounds like what you're experiencing.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM

It will go away on its own if you treat it. Massage, heat, frequent nursing, and dangle nursing. If you do this consistently, the clog will release itself. This will not be immediate, which seems to be what a lot of people expect. Clogs are such a pain!

piwife
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:29 PM
This going to sound weird but put baby on the floor, if you have a nursing pillow put him on there and nurse on all 4's so that you are on top of him. While he nurses massage the duct. Also hot water compresses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:35 PM

It sounds like you were just feeling bad from the pain, Right? Mastitis feels more like the flu. I think you just got clogged ducts. Do you use a underwire bra? They cause blockage alot.  If your boobie gets red again or if you get a fever then go to your OBGYN. Other then that all you can really do is use warm compresses and Nurse like crazy.

Dvegas
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I had this problem. I went to the doctor and it was mastitis. They told me to just keep nursing and even after i nurse i should pump. I would use a warm compress while pumping. It takes a few days to clear up but it will go away with frequent nursing and pumping.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)