Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Not making enough milk!

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:37 PM
  • 20 Replies

What do you think when you hear that? I have a friend that had her baby a month ago she said she wanted to BF so i tried to give her advice before she had baby.well i asked her a few nights ago how it was going and she said that the hospital told her she wasnt making enough milk because the baby lost about 5oz and she needed to give formula as well (this was all before she left the hospital) i did my best to explain to her that it was normal and to give her as much advice as i could.what do you think of moms who believe this? Do you think alot of people use it as an excuse because it was harder then they though it was going to be? Do you think they didnt educate themself enough on it?

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:51 PM
2 moms liked this
I really think that new moms, or moms of sick babies, can be especially vulnerable to a doctor with this kind of misinformation. The doctor says something that makes you think "something" is "wrong", then they offer a "fix".

I can personally compare it to a time I took my fourth to a well baby visit at 6 months and they found a surprise ear infection. It took me off guard, and I'm thinking, "my poor baby" and I rush off to fill the prescription. After a month of raging diarrhea from the stupid augmentin, I was thinking "wait, how did I get talked into that in the first place? She wasn't in any pain. Why didn't we just go back in a couple days to follow up?!?" We get so much clarity with hindsight. I think those if us who worry too easily are susceptible to falling for this too fast. You need a calm head or a great support system who can help you keep your head on.

I do have to say that it makes me especially frustrated to hear the moms of newborns set up so early for failure. These moms are doomed for no other reason than who they chose as a doctor because they hadn't a real problem in the world with breastfeeding otherwise.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ANSnyder
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it's both the education and the hospitals pushing formula because it is easier for them. Think about it in the middle of the night when they have a few babies to each nurse they can just give the baby a bottle if your breast feeding they have to bring the baby to you and then wait for you to call them to bring the baby back to the nursery.
LHummel
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Sheesh. 5oz. My DD only ate twice in her first 24 hours. The hospital told me as long as she hadn't lost 25% of her birth weight they weren't concerned.  Which actually concerned me. LOL. I think it can be used as an excuse to quit, they are uneducated or they have no support. Supplimenting unless absolutely needed only hurts milk supply anyway. Which I dont think all women understand. If women really want to breastfeed they need to make sure they have doctors and friends/family who support/encourage them. 

luvmymunchkins3
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I know i was surprised when she said that was all she let our son lost 1 pound in the hospital and they told it was perfectly normal.i tried to support her as much as i could but i dont think she really wanted to BF in the first place since she kept saying how she was going to ave to put the baby on formula when she went back to work at 6weeks and i tried to give you advice about that.

Quoting LHummel:

Sheesh. 5oz. My DD only ate twice in her first 24 hours. The hospital told me as long as she hadn't lost 25% of her birth weight they weren't concerned.  Which actually concerned me. LOL. I think it can be used as an excuse to quit, they are uneducated or they have no support. Supplimenting unless absolutely needed only hurts milk supply anyway. Which I dont think all women understand. If women really want to breastfeed they need to make sure they have doctors and friends/family who support/encourage them. 

LHummel
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I had a friend who felt she had to "justify" not BF. I finally had to tell her I didn't care. So she would stop. I obviously wish she had but its not as if she wasn't feeding her child or being neglectful at all. Then with her second she just admitted to the fact that she wanted to take the "easy" route by using formula. I was not happy with her choice but at least she admitted the truth. 

Quoting luvmymunchkins3:

I know i was surprised when she said that was all she let our son lost 1 pound in the hospital and they told it was perfectly normal.i tried to support her as much as i could but i dont think she really wanted to BF in the first place since she kept saying how she was going to ave to put the baby on formula when she went back to work at 6weeks and i tried to give you advice about that.

Quoting LHummel:

BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:59 PM
It's pi**es me off. I try not to bring up the subject because I'm so passionate about it, and bc it does no good to argue with someone who doesn't want to be helped.

I had a friend, who told me, while I was going through issues with dd2's latch, that she was glad she never had to mess with that. I was floored, I wanted to tell her, you DID have to, you CHOSE formula despite all the evidence that breast is best.
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I strongly beleve that if Nurses and Doctors were more educated in the area of Bfeeding then they could give more educated edvice and offer more support to women. Also i beleve that if Formula companies werent sitting inside the pockets of Dr offices and hospitals then formula woulnt get pushed the way it does. Its ultimetly up to the individual though.

merinasmommy
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:06 AM
well i was told that with merina and i would have believed the same thing this time if it werent for this group
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmymunchkins3
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:07 AM

I love when they say its easy i ff my oldest kids but i had some stuff happen that at the time made it the best choice and i have been bf the baby looking back.there was nothing easy and ff you always ave to have clean bottles,you have to get out of bed at night to make a bottle,boil water.bf to me is so easy shoot i even get a full nights sleep because he stays latched on all night i dont have to wake up.

Quoting LHummel:

I had a friend who felt she had to "justify" not BF. I finally had to tell her I didn't care. So she would stop. I obviously wish she had but its not as if she wasn't feeding her child or being neglectful at all. Then with her second she just admitted to the fact that she wanted to take the "easy" route by using formula. I was not happy with her choice but at least she admitted the truth. 

Quoting luvmymunchkins3:

Quoting LHummel:

mylilprincesses
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this

i think they see it as a challenge and just refuse to take that challenge.. i have heard from so many friends and other moms who had said well he/she wasn't satisfied enough or i wasn't making enough to make him/her full. when my baby girl was born.. i feed her for 2 hrs every feeding and had a hour between feeding..and she was still wasn't getting enough.. and didn't have a pee diaper her almost two days but once my milk came in two days later.. everything went back to normal. this is my first time being successful at breastfeeding.. and now comparing how much easier it is to FF.. breastfeeding tops it.. cause now.. its so much easier to nurse than to make a bottle and alot of people just don't see it that way. you can educate people all day long on how much breastfeeding is better or even helps you bond with your baby but with most people they would have to experience it for themselves to actually understand.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)