Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Alcohol and BFing Post

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:59 AM
  • 16 Replies

I know the whole "safe to drive, safe to nurse" thing, but I was wondering if there are any other "lightweights" around and how you deal with having a drink or so. I can barely drink a single shot (or beer or equivalent) without getting nearly plastered! Some days are better than others. I try and baby my drink. It takes me forever to finish one shot.

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eykelley
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:58 AM
1 mom liked this
:) I think ur fine.
I know that I grew into a light weight after my dd was born. If I have a glass of wine I start getting a little dizzy, semi tipsy! Lol.
Hahaha. But I'm still ok. Don't worry.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
krs_tristan
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:35 AM
I get a killer buzz when halfway through a mikes hard lemonade. Lol I just pause and put my drink back in the fridge.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I get buzzed off one drink, wouldn't trust myself to drive for an hour. Two drinks and my world is spinning. And I always stop there. I don't like the feeling of the step after "buzzed". I've always had great timing with drinking: I'd nurse the baby to sleep and have a drink and if the baby woke up in less than 2 hrs, dad would cuddle him/her back to sleep.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:31 AM
I just take it slow. And I don't drink anything like hard liquor. I mostly drink just wine. I nurse DS to sleep and then put him in his swing, becuase there is a less likely chance of him waking up early in it. I also test my milk with the alcohol strips
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:34 AM
I'm like that too. One drink usually dies me in. Unless I'm eating at the same time, then maybe 2. I also don't drink all that often.
SadieJames
by Sarah on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:00 AM
2 moms liked this

Be careful with the strips.  If you used Windex (and a bunch of other cleaners) and there is some residue left it can make it positive.  Someone told me a mom in here who was pregnant and hasn't drank used one and it was positive.  

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

I just take it slow. And I don't drink anything like hard liquor. I mostly drink just wine. I nurse DS to sleep and then put him in his swing, becuase there is a less likely chance of him waking up early in it. I also test my milk with the alcohol strips

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:09 AM
This is true! Even their website carries the disclaimer that some cleaning product fumes can render the results inaccurate. I've always wanted to try them for fun but they're expensive!

Quoting SadieJames:

Be careful with the strips.  If you used Windex (and a bunch of other cleaners) and there is some residue left it can make it positive.  Someone told me a mom in here who was pregnant and hasn't drank used one and it was positive.  

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:14 AM
I'm a super lightweight. The same rule applies, if you are feeling it, it's in your blood and milk. If I drink one glass of wine in 30 minutes, I'm loopy so when I drink, I sip. It takes me 2 hrs to finish a glass so I know I'm good to go. If we have fruity drinks, I'll drink them over the course of an hour or so.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Hah it takes me so long to finish a beer that its pretty warm when I'm taking the last swig, which means I'm rarely finishing one. Even when I was younger, when I did make a rare appearance in a bar, I'd be holding on to the same bottle all night. I'm a cheap date. No, I take that back because I can EAT like a horse despite how tiny I am. ;-)

Quoting MaryJarrett:

I'm a super lightweight. The same rule applies, if you are feeling it, it's in your blood and milk. If I drink one glass of wine in 30 minutes, I'm loopy so when I drink, I sip. It takes me 2 hrs to finish a glass so I know I'm good to go. If we have fruity drinks, I'll drink them over the course of an hour or so.
MalakbelLacuna
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I can get drunk off of a Mikes Hard lemonade as well. I just avoid alcohol in general- even before I started nursing. I am not a fan of the way it makes me feel

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)