Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Help!! I don't know what to do!

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:26 AM
  • 11 Replies
I have been breastfeeding for 9 months and proud of that achievement. We had our 9 month check up yesterday and she is 15 lbs that puts her below the 5th percentile. She has been eating solid foods. She has cereal in the morning - 2oz of milk with oatmeal and her usual feed. For lunch she will have fruits or vegetables with her feed. My concern is that she is at daycare and not sure that they are getting her to eat enough. They document a 4oz bottle at 8, 12 and 4.
She is attaining her milestones - pulling to stand, crawling on her belly and getting ready to creep.

I am venting!
My issue is should I express bottle feed to ensure she is getting enough. On the weekends its just breast. Weekdays at nights, just breast. But she is still not sleeping through the night waking up every 4 hrs or so. Sometimes she will put herself back to sleep, other times she will cry and stops as soon as she puts the breast in her mouth. On the occasional night when my husband has her, she will sleep 6 to 7 hrs!!!

Then my daycare provider pissed me off yesterday. Talking about her being small. And not wanting to eat...which is not true. She gets distracted by the older kids playing and wants to play too.
This week they gave her cheese puffs and a cereal bar. When I asked details about the cereal bar...u can get it at the dollar store. I was so mad!
They are asking me to let them introduce stuff which I said ok as long as I know what she is given on a day to day basis and don't introduce anything new sooner than 3 days.

But when I read, I see breastmilk should be the major part of nutrition until 1 year, they are trying to make baby food a bigger part and milk as snacks.

I dunno
I am sorry this is so long.
I am a first time mom and my mom states that babies with teeth should not be breastfed...no support.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlemonaghan
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:31 AM

We did baby led weaning with my daughter, so it wasn't until around 9 months that she actually started eating solid foods. 

My daughter was 17lbs at 9 months so not much heavier than your daughter.

That being said...honestly I would be more open to allowing them to give her more solid food if she wants it. Theres no harm in offering her more food, any healthy food really...(my baby was eating bbq pulled pork at 9 months)...but I would let them offer the food, as long as she is given a bottle first.

Make sure she's getting her bottles first..then solid foods

eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:34 AM
They are feeding an ounce an hour, which is good, but I would do a 3 oz bottle every 3 hours instead. They should get 1-1.25 oz per hour of seperation. Solids are still for practice at this point. I'm sure if you posted her weight history the ladies here could help. Percentiles mean nothing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:36 AM
All bottles before solids! And my Aiden is 8 months 1 week and still doesn't eat solids on a regular basis. And i would send only what YOU want her to eat at daycare. Send a half a banana or some steamed carrots chopped up. There's no telling what they'll try to feed her.... pizza, cake,cookies.
JAZoemama
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:44 AM
So her birth weight was 6lbs 9oz, at 6 months, she was 13lbs 4 oz.

They give her food first and bottle after!

I told them to go ahead and give her the food. I know she will eat it. When she sees food coming she gets excited. She always tries to eat what I am eating, so I will give her pieces of meat.

Their plan
Breakfast- 6-8 oz breastmilk, 2-4tbsp cereal, 1-4 tbsp fruit or veg

Lunch- 6-8 oz breastmilk and 1-4tbsp fruit or veg and either cereal or meat or cheese or yogurt.

I am ok with this. As long as she gets her milk as a priority.

The daycare owner is not pro breastfeeding. She has never dealt with it.

I have had to educate them. They would throw away milk of she did not drink it in an hour. Had to inform them once defrosted it lasts 24 hrs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Can you give a full weight history mama? Birth, lowest, all the wcc weights.
Couple quick things always nurse immediately before any solids. Look into those infant cereals they really are crap and not worth wasting time with them.
Try healthier solids like egg, avacdado, sweet potatoe, shredded cheese or meats.
Google watch the baby not the scale. if nutrition was a concern youd see this in her milestones and behavior. Not sttn isn't a concern. Thats unique to baby regardless of feeding method. Your pumping output isn't any kind of indication of how much baby gets when nursing. Diaper count is the best indication
You hire the day care provider I would be very pissed if they are pulling that nonsense.
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Those bottles are to large!!!!! Tell them no! A bf baby should have ideally no more then 3oz given every 2.5-3hrs. If 4oz every 3hr is working id keep that.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:49 AM
At this rate you will be using formula in no time. 3-4 oz is a full feeding for a breastfed baby because the milk changes for them... not the other way around. After a few days of this you will see her acting like she is still hungry at the breast because she's used to larger portions from the bottle.

Quoting JAZoemama:

So her birth weight was 6lbs 9oz, at 6 months, she was 13lbs 4 oz.

They give her food first and bottle after!

I told them to go ahead and give her the food. I know she will eat it. When she sees food coming she gets excited. She always tries to eat what I am eating, so I will give her pieces of meat.

Their plan

Breakfast- 6-8 oz breastmilk, 2-4tbsp cereal, 1-4 tbsp fruit or veg

Lunch- 6-8 oz breastmilk and 1-4tbsp fruit or veg and either cereal or meat or cheese or yogurt.

I am ok with this. As long as she gets her milk as a priority.

The daycare owner is not pro breastfeeding. She has never dealt with it.

I have had to educate them. They would throw away milk of she did not drink it in an hour. Had to inform them once defrosted it lasts 24 hrs.

JAZoemama
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Birth was 6lbs 9oz, went down to 6 lbs, at 2 weeks, 6lbs 7 oz. At 2 months I can't remember. At 4months, 12lbs. At 6 months, 13lbs, 4oz. At 9months, 15lbs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Oh my!  Those bottles are killer big:(  No more than 4 oz (ideally only 3oz) per bottle, ever!  Please go print out the information kellymom has on bottle feeding breast babies. Take it to daycare and require everyone who cares for your baby to read it and agree to follow your desires for your child. You hired them, not the other way around. If they refuse to do what you ask, it's time to find a new daycare. I was an infant nursery director for years and wouldn't ever go against what moms asked for their babies. Even if I didn't agree, it was what they wanted done and unless it was obviously causing harm, I followed their directions. Milk before solids always, and I would send my own food for them to give her. I would die if someone gave my baby cheese puffs and cereal bar. I don't even like my older kids to have those!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Her gain is PERFECT. She's getting plenty. She needs no more than what she's getting. What you should do... basically... nothing different! Maybe find a different daycare provider; the one you have is an idjit.

One pound per month from lowest is expected gain. She's put on nine pounds in nine months. PERFECT.

DO NOTHING!

Quoting JAZoemama:

Birth was 6lbs 9oz, went down to 6 lbs, at 2 weeks, 6lbs 7 oz. At 2 months I can't remember. At 4months, 12lbs. At 6 months, 13lbs, 4oz. At 9months, 15lbs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)